PDA

View Full Version : Skate America 2008

zephblabs
10-22-2008, 01:28 PM
It is the first major event of the 2008-2009 skating season, and it is going to be shown by NBC this Sunday at 4-6pm.

Skate America is part of the ISU Grand Prix of figure skating with stops at Canada, China, Russia, Japan, and France. The top 6 skaters from each discipline then qualifies to the Grand Prix Final at Seoul, Korea.

Johny Weir and Evan Lysacek will face off for the men's gold. Current US national champion Mirai Nagasu will begin her senior season going up against former world medalist Yuna Kim, and former world champions Kimmie Meissner and Miki Ando.

Scotty
10-22-2008, 01:56 PM
whoooooooo ... TalkAboutSkating is back.

I presume this event was held a while back, and is being shown on serious tape delay?

oohsalmon
10-22-2008, 01:56 PM
whoooooooo ... TalkAboutSkating is back.

I presume this event was held a while back, and is being shown on serious tape delay?

Yeah, this was in 1988.

Scotty
10-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Yeah, this was in 1988.

Sweet. Was that Debi Thomas and Katarina Witt and their 'dueling Carmens'? Or was that '84, when Elizabeth Smylie won a surprise silver in Calgary?

meanwhile, somewhere pamchenko's head is exploding, knowing that others are tossing down skating trivia without her.

nelslus
10-22-2008, 02:26 PM
WELL, hopefully there will be some gay skaters competing this year.

(:hyst:.)

winston
10-22-2008, 03:00 PM
Enjoy the 2 hours of TV coverage on Sunday. It's the only Grand Prix event that will be televised this year. (There will be some pathetic coverage of the US Nationals and Worlds.) If you want to catch any of the rest of the Grand Prix series, it's icenetwork.com or nothing.

Jack
10-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Sweet. Was that Debi Thomas and Katarina Witt and their 'dueling Carmens'? Or was that '84, when Elizabeth Smylie won a surprise silver in Calgary?

meanwhile, somewhere pamchenko's head is exploding, knowing that others are tossing down skating trivia without her.

I don't know nuthin' about skating, but I'm pretty sure Smylie didn't medal in Calgary. Unless it was the Virginia Slims of Calgary event. ;)

Kirkus
10-22-2008, 03:10 PM
:overhead_clap:

Ice Skating!

Scotty
10-22-2008, 03:28 PM
I don't know nuthin' about skating, but I'm pretty sure Smylie didn't medal in Calgary. Unless it was the Virginia Slims of Calgary event. ;)

You're right. It was Elizabeth Manley. How I could forget a name like that, I'll never know.

Moose
10-22-2008, 05:00 PM

Points for remembering the "Dueling Carmens", my friend. But do you remember Katarina's snarky remark when asked what the diff was between Debi and her Carmen?

Moose
10-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Johny Weir and Evan Lysacek will face off for the men's gold. .

YIPPEE! It's the return of HFJW

http://thefeed.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/ph2006022102082.jpg

dryrunguy
10-22-2008, 05:18 PM
YIPPEE! It's the return of HFJW

http://thefeed.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/ph2006022102082.jpg

So soon? :o

Scotty
10-22-2008, 05:18 PM
Points for remembering the "Dueling Carmens", my friend. But do you remember Katarina's snarky remark when asked what the diff was between Debi and her Carmen?

no. Something about how Tomba La Bomba preferred her short skirt? :cheesy:

zephblabs
10-22-2008, 05:27 PM
Lol. It is going to be held this Friday... :) and I think there are no Carmens this year. :)

Moose
10-22-2008, 06:09 PM
no. Something about how Tomba La Bomba preferred her short skirt? :cheesy:

No, it was much better than that. Perfect Diva line.

I remember Tomba was all hot to meet Witt, though, and then apparently it was huge bust between them.

I'll leave the question up for a while. I am certain Pamchenko will know the answer if she stops by to visit the thread, or maybe someone else will remember. If no one has it, I'll post the answer later tonight, or tomorrow a.m..

dryrunguy
10-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Lol. It is going to be held this Friday... :) and I think there are no Carmens this year. :)

I wouldn't put it past HFJW.

zephblabs
10-22-2008, 06:34 PM
I wouldn't put it past HFJW.

Please don't tempt him, last thing figure skating needs is HFJW dressed in Witt's carmen costume.

Kirkus
10-22-2008, 06:50 PM
IFn36zB_OiQ

JGuw6QN-ltE

GVGirl
10-22-2008, 06:55 PM
I never liked Witt. Hingis was the Witt of tennis.

I do enjoy skating. :)

Kirkus
Sorry. I had those screwed up at first.

GVGirl
Please don't tempt him, last thing figure skating needs is HFJW dressed in Witt's carmen costume.

He'd definitely get bonus points for style and artistry!! :hyst:

Kirkus
10-22-2008, 07:05 PM
A little off topic, I know. But...

My all time favorite routine, Paul Wylie - JFK

FGhKnfRXtpM

Moose
10-22-2008, 07:17 PM
Loved that, Kirkus.

If we're posting favorites, here's mine. Isabelle and Paul Duchesnay, from the 1991 Worlds.

kpxfvsY2swA

dryrunguy
10-22-2008, 08:01 PM
I haven't been following skating all that long... But there are a few routines that really stand out as my all-time favorites.

--Torvill and Dean's Bolero
--The French ice dancers from a few Olympics ago with that gorgeous redhead, and there's a point in the routine where she appears to lift him... Can't remember their names. But they were so, so cool.

And I don't generally like ice dancing that much. But these two are among my favorites of all time. I'll have to see if I can find them on You Tube.

dryrunguy
10-22-2008, 08:10 PM
It was Marina Anissina and Gwendal Peizerat. Here's their gold medal performance from 2002. And yes, that's Dr. Martin Luther King speaking within the music.

RyJknaDA7II

Here's Torvill and Dean, which of course got straight 10s and is probably regarded as the best ice dancing performance ever.

t2zbbN4OL98

kandi
10-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Torvill and Dean's Bolero has to be my all-time favorite too. And Katerina's Carmen - pure dynamite! And anything by Michelle Kwan (gosh I miss seeing her on the ice!).

Skate America is being held 150 miles from my home and I can't make it there to see any of it. Makes me sick.

Kirkus
10-22-2008, 11:02 PM
I have to really be in the mood for ice dancing. Apparently tonight I was.

Isabelle and Paul Duchesnay: So beautiful. I love that first piece of music.

Marina Anissina and Gwendal Peizerat: I think she did lift him. I don't remember ever seeing that before.

Torvill and Dean's Bolero: 'nuff said.

Ti-Amie
10-26-2008, 04:10 PM
Evan Lysacek brings down the house and finishes behind Taka and HFJW?! WTF?!

dryrunguy
10-26-2008, 04:11 PM
Evan Lysacek brings down the house and finishes behind Taka and HFJW?! WTF?!

He didn't complete the rotation on one of the jumps he landed (I think it was a triple axel), so it was downgraded. And that turned out to be the difference, I guess.

Ti-Amie
10-26-2008, 04:26 PM
He didn't complete the rotation on one of the jumps he landed (I think it was a triple axel), so it was downgraded. And that turned out to be the difference, I guess.

I saw the explanation after I posted ( I recorded it earlier). Oh well.

winston
10-26-2008, 04:44 PM
My life has come down to bleary eyes and the computer. I have masters series TV online, so tomorrow I'll start watching Paris. I also signed up for icenetwork.com and just finished watching 3 days of COMPLETE coverage of Skate America. The problem shows up next Friday, when there's both tennis and Skate Canada. Don't have schedules yet, so they may not conflict, but I think they'll take up most of the days. ISN'T RETIREMENT FUN!!!!!

Moose
10-26-2008, 05:55 PM
Evan Lysacek brings down the house and finishes behind Taka...

Taka Boom's taken up ice skating?

http://www.johnvalentimusic.com/images/takaboom.jpg