PDA

View Full Version : Achilles tendonitis - help!

bea26
10-06-2008, 03:19 PM
So I'm self-diagnosing myself here, man is it super sore just above my ankles. I've been playing a lot after being on hiatus for a few months so I think it's overuse. I'm swapping out my sneaks just in case. I'm stretching and icing. Any tips on making it go away quicker or am I doing everything I can? And if I keep playing with they snap as is my worst irrational fear? I had that happen to a doubles partner and it was more gruesome than Friday the 13th.

pamchenko
10-06-2008, 03:51 PM
I don't think you're at increased risk for snapping the tendon just because you may/may not have tendonitis. I tore my Achilles 10 years ago but only had tendonitis for the first time about a year and a half ago.

How bad is it? Can you hear it yet? (Mine was so bad by the time I went to the doctor that my tendon was audibly squeaking when compressed.) If you can hear it, I'd say lay off until you can't and then resume a lighter playing schedule to let it get back in shape. If you can't, I'd just go ahead and cut back the schedule to allow your tendon time to heal and strengthen.

amenssen
10-06-2008, 05:45 PM
I've had major ankle problems for a long time, soccer is killer for ankles. most of the time it hasn't been my achilles, but i once had a very bad achilles problem. It's hard to diagnose over the computer, but what really helped me was to stand on a bench before I played and just lower my heels down to stretch out the tendon. What are your symptoms, does it "tighten" up, as mine did, or what.

bea26
10-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Oh thank God it makes no noise, though I know what you mean - I got it in my wrist from serving like a jackass and it was crunchy and I'm grossed out even thinking about it. No, it's really just super tight and warm. I'm icing and stretching which helps. I just want it to go away but I can be patient. As long as it's not going to snap on me I can deal. :)

And that heel stretch is good unless you've had plantar fasciitis in which case (for me anyway) it rips your little arch apart.

Jesus I'm frail.

bea26
10-06-2008, 06:33 PM
PS - I was told Advil fights the inflammation. How many days can I take it before my stomach lining bleeds?

pamchenko
10-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Do you have therapy bands? I use therapy bands to stretch/work my ankles with very little weight stress. I mean, if you don't mind stretching your ankles like a dancer. :p

PS - I was told Advil fights the inflammation. How many days can I take it before my stomach lining bleeds?

Considering the amount of Advil I was dry swallowing before practice every day when I was 12, I'd say at least 378.

bea26
10-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Do you have therapy bands? I use therapy bands to stretch/work my ankles with very little weight stress. I mean, if you don't mind stretching your ankles like a dancer. :p

I'm not above anything. Just ask Scotty.

I'll look into what those exercises/stretches are. Thanks!

bea26
10-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Considering the amount of Advil I was dry swallowing before practice every day when I was 12, I'd say at least 378.

B*tch, please.

pamchenko
10-06-2008, 06:42 PM
I'm not above anything. Just ask Scotty.
I think I'd rather not.

I'll look into what those exercises/stretches are. Thanks!

There are some good examples here (http://www.aofas.org/Scripts/4Disapi.dll/4DCGI/cms/review.html?Action=CMS_Document&DocID=57).

Drop-shot
10-06-2008, 07:15 PM

Look, not sure what Advil has, but look for these generic names in any brand:

Diclofenac / Diclofen: take one every 12hs if it's 75mg. one every 8hs if it's 50mg.
This is the one I use.

Ibuprofen: take one every 6hs. Generally they come with 200/300/400mg. If it's a 600mg, take every 8hs.

These are everyday, widespread and over-the-counter (at least here) drugs.
If you have gastritis take them with your meals or a glass of milk.

Of course if you are allergic to them don't use them.

bea26
10-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Look, not sure what Advil has, but look for these generic names in any brand:

Diclofenac / Diclofen: take one every 12hs if it's 75mg. one every 8hs if it's 50mg.
This is the one I use.

Ibuprofen / Acetaminophen: take one every 6hs. Generally they come with 200/300/400mg. If it's a 600mg, take every 8hs.

These are everyday, widespread and over-the-counter (at least here) drugs.
If you have gastritis take them with your meals or a glass of milk.

Of course if you are allergic to them don't use them.

Thanks Dr. Drop-Shot! :)

bea26
10-06-2008, 07:52 PM
There are some good examples here (http://www.aofas.org/Scripts/4Disapi.dll/4DCGI/cms/review.html?Action=CMS_Document&DocID=57).

And thank you.