PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED Men's USOSP Picks & Results Thread

shtexas
09-01-2008, 07:46 PM
Congratulations on making it to the 2008 US Open Suicide Pool UPDATED Men’s Picks & Results Thread. A truly great job by all 32 of you!

Abbey: Simon -Mathieu -Calleri -Monfils -Almagro - Wawrinka - Gonzalez - Del Potro - Davydenko

Agassifan: Monfils - Fish - Moya - Blake - Verdasco - Wawrinka - Roddick - Del Potro - Davydenko

Ajstew: Simon - Fish - Moya - Melzer - Stepanek - Wawrinka - Gonzalez - Del Potro - Davydenko

Angryduck: Troicki -Fish -Gulbis -Nalbandian -Stepanek -Wawrinka -Roddick -Del Potro - Davydenko

Csgnyc: Kohlschreiber -Fish -Moya -Querrey -Verdasco -Wawrinka - Roddick - Del Potro - Davydenko

Doubledogbrewer: Murray-Karlovic-Roddick-Nalbandian -Verdasco-Wawrinka-Gonzalez-Nadal - Davydenko

Edmond Dantes: Llodra -Chardy -Moya -Simon - Verdasco- Wawrinka - Roddick - Del Potro - Davydenko

Elenas: Simon -Verdasco -Stepanek -Ferrer -Davydenko -Wawrinka -Roddick - Murray - Djokovic - Del Potro

Improbabledream: Simon -Fish -Tursunov -Melzer -Stepanek -Wawrinka -Gonzalez -Del Potro - Davydenko

Irena2: Troicki - Robredo - Cilic - Nishikori - Stepanek - Wawrinka - Gonzalez - Del Potro - Davydenko

Jack : Troicki - Fish - Calleri - Melzer - Verdasco - Wawrinka - Roddick - Del Potro - Davydenko

Jadesa: Kohlschreiber - Fish - Tursunov - Querrey - Andreev - Wawrinka - Gonzalez - Murray - Roddick - Del Potro

Jazzyg: Troicki -Fish -Stepanek -Nalbandian - Verdasco - Wawrinka - Gonzalez - Del Potro - Davydenko

Jkfriedman: Monfils - Reynolds - Moya - Simon - Almagro - Wawrinka - Gonzalez - Murray - Davydenko

Kayce: Troicki - Chardy - Stepanek - Simon - Tursunov - Wawrinka - Gonzalez - Del Potro - Roddick - Nadal - Federer - Murray

Kcgregg: Monfils - Fish - Stepanek - Querrey - Verdasco - Wawrinka - Roddick - Murray - Davydenko

Kmart93: Simon - Safin - Cilic - Melzer - Seppi - Wawrinka - Gonzalez - Del Potro - Davydenko

Last_Neuron: Nalbandian-Karlovic-Moya-Querrey -Stepanek -Wawrinka -Gonzalez -Del Potro - Roddick - Murray - Muller

Microserfing: Troicki -Fish -Moya -Querrey - Nieminen - Wawrinka - Gonzalez - Del Potro - Davydenko

Mocam57: Kohlschreiber -Verdasco -Moya -Querrey -Stepanek -Wawrinka -Roddick -Del Potro - Davydenko

Moose: Llodra -Fish -Ginepri -Nalbandian -Verdasco - Wawrinka - Davydenko - Del Potro - Roddick - Nadal - Federer - Murray

Musababid: Troicki - Robredo - Gulbis - Querrey - Verdasco - Wawrinka - Gonzalez - Murray - Davydenko

OCon68: Monfils - Fish - Moya - Querrey - Verdasco - Wawrinka - Davydenko - Del Potro - Roddick - Murray - Djokovic - no pick

Scotty: Kohlschreiber -Fish -Ginepri -Querrey -Verdasco - Wawrinka - Roddick - Del Potro - Davydenko

Suliso: Kohlschreiber -Fish -Ginepri - Melzer - Verdasco - Wawrinka - Roddick - Del Potro - Davydenko

SW195AE: Monfils -Fish -Tursunov -Nalbandian -Verdasco -Wawrinka -Gonzalez - Del Potro - Davydenko

Tennis Fan: Simon - Safin - Moya - Blake - Davydenko - Wawrinka - Gonzalez - Del Potro - Roddick - Nadal - Federer - Djokovic

Tennismaster8: Troicki-Verdasco-Tsonga-Nalbandian -Gonzalez-Wawrinka-Roddick -Del Potro - Davydenko

Tscott: Troicki - Mathieu - Moya - Melzer - Verdasco - Wawrinka - Gonzalez - Del Potro - Davydenko

Udaneri: Blake - Karlovic - Moya - Ferrer - Verdasco - Wawrinka - Roddick - Del Potro - Davydenko

Vlad: Kohlschreiber -Fish -Gulbis -Querrey - Stepanek - Wawrinka - Gonzalez - Del Potro - Davydenko

Zebra: Troicki -Nieminen -Calleri -Nalbandian -Tursunov -Wawrinka - Davydenko - Del Potro - Roddick - Murray - Federer - Nadal

doubledogbrewer
09-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Sure is grand to be in the updated thread (no matter what those multiple-medal winner snobs say) for the first time in a while.

So ... if Fish can manage to knock off Nadal, there will only be a couple of us with a good chance. :) And it looks like if I can get through tomorrow I'll have to break my top-14 string and choose Fish (unlikely) or JMDP. To beat the draw, basically, I need Fish to win. Guess I should have gambled on him to beat Monfils instead of waiting. Fell in love with my new strategy. :)

Moose
09-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Sure is grand to be in the updated thread (no matter what those multiple-medal winner snobs say) for the first time in a while.

That was all part of a running joke between a couple of us, DoubleDog. I think any of us that have played a few SPs get excited about making it to the update thread. Short of winning the game, it's the other big accomplishment in a Suicide Pool.

oohsalmon
09-01-2008, 08:25 PM
That was all part of a running joke between a couple of us, DoubleDog. I think any of us that have played a few SPs get excited about making it to the update thread. Short of winning the game, it's the other big accomplishment in a Suicide Pool.

Oh absolutely. I won a couple this year, but making the updated thread of four of the eight SPs I played is the second line on my TAT contest resume, to be sure.

Scotty
09-01-2008, 08:47 PM
omigod you guys! It's the updated P&R thread. I thought this day might never come. I am surprised ... I'm in such a state of shock, that I can't speak. So I'll just hand out copies of my mimeographed acceptance speech.

Where's that red carpet?

patrick
09-02-2008, 04:42 AM
Oh absolutely. I won a couple this year, but making the updated thread of four of the eight SPs I played is the second line on my TAT contest resume, to be sure.

Will TAT give you the MVP of the SP this year? Reason is you have had a great year as I went a whopping 0 for 2008 SP.

kmart93
09-02-2008, 07:06 AM
So (if we should make it that far) do we have to make two quarterfinals picks, or just one?

Moose
09-02-2008, 07:16 AM
So (if we should make it that far) do we have to make two quarterfinals picks, or just one?

This ain't Wimbledon, kmart. You have two picks to make in the quarters. We've said since we started SPs that the US Open is the most challenging of all the games we play every year, because of this and the three day first round.

shtexas
09-02-2008, 07:46 AM
Unless someone changes their mind in the next 15 minutes -

Day 9 breakdown:

24 - Davydenko
7 - Roddick
1 - Djokovic

oohsalmon
09-02-2008, 08:10 AM
Will TAT give you the MVP of the SP this year? Reason is you have had a great year as I went a whopping 0 for 2008 SP.

LOL, no, the MVPs are the people who run these things :D.

Moose
09-02-2008, 08:12 AM

THAT was a very nice thing to say, Salmon. Thank you. Stuff like that (and the many other compliments we've received this go 'round) make the work that goes into our SPs worthwhile.

patrick
09-02-2008, 08:49 AM

:yes:

Thanks for the correction.

shtexas
09-02-2008, 09:08 AM

How sweet!

Uh, oh...

maybe too sweet...

:vomit:

kmart93
09-02-2008, 10:13 AM
This ain't Wimbledon, kmart. You have two picks to make in the quarters. We've said since we started SPs that the US Open is the most challenging of all the games we play every year, because of this and the three day first round.

Ok, that's what I was planning on anyways, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Irena2
09-02-2008, 12:07 PM
Thank you to all the TATer's who run this. No drinks, no jinx, so... cupcakes for all of you!

tennisbrp
09-02-2008, 01:08 PM
If Gilles can actually win this could be huge carnage if Djok goes down also..

kmart93
09-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Ouch. I knew better than to pick against Muller. But I thought Davydenko would be too much. Oh well. It's been fun.

Charlie02123
09-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Unless someone changes their mind in the next 15 minutes -

Day 9 breakdown:

24 - Davydenko
7 - Roddick
1 - Djokovic

And then there were 8.

Moose
09-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Wow. If Andy loses to Fena tonight, the mens game is over and we have a champion before the quarters.

kknudsen
09-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Ouch. I knew better than to pick against Muller. But I thought Davydenko would be too much. Oh well. It's been fun.

I picked Haas against Muller and got booted ... can't say that I'm all that upset about it now ... Muller's been quite the upset this Open.

Thanks to the SP staff ... I love playing!

doubledogbrewer
09-02-2008, 03:44 PM
how in the world do you have 257 set points against a guy who has been on court for 9000 hours in the past two weeks ... and lose?

I don't mind being out of the pool, but to be so close to a fifth set -- which you've gotta think Davydenko wins -- and then bow out. How brutal.

elisat
09-02-2008, 03:45 PM
I picked Haas against Muller and got booted ... can't say that I'm all that upset about it now ... Muller's been quite the upset this Open.

Thanks to the SP staff ... I love playing!
I picked Almagro against Muller. How many people has Muller upset at SP?

mwoods
09-02-2008, 03:45 PM
how in the world do you have 257 set points against a guy who has been on court for 9000 hours in the past two weeks ... and lose?

I don't mind being out of the pool, but to be so close to a fifth set -- which you've gotta think Davydenko wins -- and then bow out. How brutal.

Did you watch how Almagro lost? ;)

ptmcmahon
09-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Who's left to be picked...by player:

Nadal: 8
Fish: 5

JMDP: 2
Murray: 6

Roddick: 0
Djokovic: 7

Muller: 8
Federer: 8

Only Elenas can't beat draw now. But Elenas is the only one with JMDP AND Fish left, so if they both win tomorrow...still has a chance!

If Roddick beats Djokvoic...no one beats the draw. That's the only doomsday match in the quarters.

beaujarkko
09-03-2008, 08:23 AM
I picked Almagro against Muller. How many people has Muller upset at SP?

By my count, 45. Far short of the Brémonding the women's pool got at Wimby a couple of years ago.

oohsalmon
09-03-2008, 10:26 AM
By my count, 45. Far short of the Brémonding the women's pool got at Wimby a couple of years ago.

How many did Hsieh take out at AO 08? I think she's a top fiver.

munchin
09-03-2008, 10:27 AM
How many did Hsieh take out at AO 08? I think she's a top fiver.

Ugh, let's not talk about that.

shtexas
09-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Day 10 breakdown:

3 - Murray
3 - Nadal
2 - Del Potro

patrick
09-03-2008, 10:36 AM
After today, the magical number for survivors could be 2,3,5,or 6.

elenas
09-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Been fun poeple! Really enjoyed ...did well on my first suicide pool. Hope to do better next time.

shtexas
09-03-2008, 11:14 PM
Day 10 breakdown:

3 - Murray
3 - Nadal
2 - Del Potro

patrick
09-04-2008, 08:51 AM
Magic number after today could be 1,2,4 or 5

shtexas
09-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Day 11 breakdown:

4 - Federer
1 - Djokovic
1 - Muller

shtexas
09-04-2008, 08:36 PM
Day 11:

4 - Federer
1 - Djokovic
1 - Muller

ptmcmahon
09-04-2008, 11:24 PM
Who's got who left:

Kayce: Murray & Djokovic
Moose: Murray & Djokovic
OCon68: Nadal & Federer
TennisFan: Murray & Djokovic
Zebra: Nadal & Djokovic

So the only doomsday final with no one having a chance to beat draw is Murray vs. Federer.

shtexas
09-06-2008, 08:15 AM
Day 13 breakdown:

1 no-pick today :(

2 - Murray
1 - Nadal
1 - Djokovic

OCon628
09-06-2008, 08:34 AM
Yeah, the early start time screwed me and I forgot to put in my pick last night. Stupid me after doing so well to get this far.
For what its worth, I was picking Nadal today, and holidng Federer until tomorrow.

dryrunguy
09-06-2008, 08:38 AM
Yeah, the early start time screwed me and I forgot to put in my pick last night. Stupid me after doing so well to get this far.
For what its worth, I was picking Nadal today, and holidng Federer until tomorrow.

Ouch!

But major props for doing this well, OCon!

shtexas
09-06-2008, 08:51 AM

I'm so sorry OCon.

Be pleased that you set yourself up perfectly for the final weekend. :)

FourTeller
09-06-2008, 11:30 AM
So it looks like no one's beating the draw this year...
Still a great job by everyone who made it this far :overhead_clap:

shtexas
09-06-2008, 02:39 PM
The scenario is simple:

Murray wins semi: Kayce and Moose win the men's SP as they survived the semis. But, neither have a choice for the final as both used Federer.

Nadal wins semi: Zebra wins the men's SP by surviving the semis. But, Zebra has also used Federer and has no pick for the final.

Moose
09-06-2008, 04:34 PM
The scenario is simple:

Murray wins semi: Kayce and Moose win the men's SP as they survived the semis. But, neither have a choice for the final as both used Federer.

Nadal wins semi: Zebra wins the men's SP by surviving the semis. But, Zebra has also used Federer and has no pick for the final.

I'm rooting for Kayce to win!

kayce
09-06-2008, 04:40 PM
I'm rooting for Kayce to win!

lol, thanks Moose. No selfish motives there I can see! ;)

OCon628
09-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Thanks all. Not sure how I actually got myself to this point and had both Nadal and Federer left, but based on the Nadal/Murray match today, it looks like I'd be on my way out anyway. Either way, happy to have done so well. Good luck to the remaining players!

Last_Neuron
09-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Well, it has been my best SP. It felt funny to pick Muller against Federer but I don't regret it, it feels good to go with your guts sometimes. Great job, thanks everybody, and kudos for Moose and Kayce!

patrick
09-08-2008, 04:17 AM
Well, it has been my best SP. It felt funny to pick Muller against Federer but I don't regret it, it feels good to go with your guts sometimes. Great job, thanks everybody, and kudos for Moose and Kayce!

Sometimes, it take guts to achieve glory and Gilles were only a few crucial points from achieving it. Good run.