PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED Womens USO SP Picks&Results Thread

Moose
08-31-2008, 07:29 PM
A salute to the nine players in this year's 4th Annual US Open Womens Suicide Pool, who managed to navigate the hazardous course that was the first week, and lived to move forward to Day 8. Here they are, with their picks so far....now let's see who, if anyone can beat the draw this year!

Charlie02123: Wozniacki - Szavay - Bartoli - Radwanska - Na Li - V. Williams - Dementieva - S. Williams - Schnyder

Evil JuJu: Srebotnik - Szavay - Bartoli - Radwanska - Na Li - Mauresmo - Dementieva - V. Williams - Jankovic - Safina - S. Williams

KKnudsen: Garrigues - Sugiyama - Wozniacki - Petrova - Schnyder - Radwanska - Dementieva - V. Williams - Jankovic - Safina - S. Williams

Megar: Keothavong - Vinci - Wozniacki - Cibulkova - Na Li - Radwanska - Schnyder - Mauresmo

Munchin: Zheng - Cornet - Bartoli - Radwanska - Na Li - Mauresmo - Schnyder - V. Williams - Jankovic - Safina - S. Williams

OohSalmon: Errani - Pennetta - Makarova - Cibulkova - Na Li - Radwanska - Schnyder - Mauresmo

Thotchkin: Schiavone - Sugiyama - Bartoli - A. Bondarenko - Schnyder - Radwanska - Dementieva - Safina - Jankovic - Pennetta

Thumm: Schiavone - Sugiyama - Srebotnik - Petrova - Na Li - V. Williams - Schnyder - Mauresmo

Vlad: Srebotnik - A. Bondarenko - Wozniacki - Radwanska - Na Li - Mauresmo - Dementieva - V. Williams - Jankovic - Safina - S. Williams

oohsalmon
08-31-2008, 07:44 PM
Updated thread! :overhead_clap:

Charlie02123
08-31-2008, 08:43 PM
I thought this was interesting:

7 of us have picked Na Li at some point.
8 of us have picked A Radwanska at some point.

oohsalmon
08-31-2008, 08:47 PM
I thought this was interesting:

7 of us have picked Na Li at some point.
8 of us have picked A Radwanska at some point.

The Na Li part is interesting, but the Radwanska part could be much more crucial since she's still in. Many are picking against her tomorrow, we'll see how that goes.

I tried a lot this SP to sort of tie together lose ends, by picking people to win who were playing people I had already used. It's worked so far...

doubledogbrewer
08-31-2008, 09:03 PM
A salute to the nine players in this year's 4th Annual US Open Womens Suicide Pool, who managed to navigate the hazardous course that was the first week, and lived to move forward to Day 8. Here they are, with their picks so far....now let's see who, if anyone can beat the draw this year!

Vlad: Srebotnik - A. Bondarenko - Wozniacki - Radwanska - Na Li - Mauresmo - Dementieva

And a double salute to Vlad, who appears to be the only one left in both pools. Wow, amazing.

munchin
08-31-2008, 09:29 PM
And a double salute to Vlad, who appears to be the only one left in both pools. Wow, amazing.

Let's throw Vlad in the lake.

oohsalmon
08-31-2008, 09:30 PM

Super impressive!

If he is able to hang on, he'd be the first one to win simultaneous pools not at the French!

Madame
08-31-2008, 10:53 PM
Allez Vlad !!! :cheesy:

Moose
09-01-2008, 08:32 AM
A decent mix as we head into Day 8 play, with 4 different players chosen by what appears to be our 8 remaining players (pending confirmation of a no-pick):

3: Venus Williams
3: Amelie Mauresmo
1: Serena Williams
1: Dinara Safina

No head to head faceoffs today, but we do have every match covered by at least one pick.

Good luck to everyone.

shtexas
09-01-2008, 08:57 AM
A decent mix as we head into Day 8 play, with 4 different players chosen by what appears to be our 8 remaining players (pending confirmation of a no-pick):

3: Venus Williams
3: Amelie Mauresmo
1: Serena Williams
1: Dinara Safina

No head to head faceoffs today, but we do have every match covered by at least one pick.

Good luck to everyone.

Vlad picked Venus. Post #6 in the thread. I know. I posted it. :)

Moose
09-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Vlad picked Venus. Post #6 in the thread. I know. I posted it. :)

Completely missed it. Thank you.

oohsalmon
09-01-2008, 10:01 AM
Megar: Keothavong - Vinci - Wozniacki - Cibulkova - Na Li - Radwanska - Schnyder - Mauresmo

OohSalmon: Errani - Pennetta - Makarova - Cibulkova - Na Li - Radwanska - Schnyder - Mauresmo

:p

Charlie02123
09-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Our Safina picker is through. Our 3 Mauresmo pickers can start to get nervous, because her match is about to start.

kknudsen
09-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Our Safina picker is through. Our 3 Mauresmo pickers can start to get nervous, because her match is about to start.

And she's down the first set ... with something like 11 double faults - WOW :shocked:

Charlie02123
09-01-2008, 11:41 AM
Goooooo Flavia! :p

Vlad
09-01-2008, 12:37 PM

Let's throw Vlad in the lake.

Super impressive!

If he is able to hang on, he'd be the first one to win simultaneous pools not at the French!

Allez Vlad !!! :cheesy:

Wow, I am pretty shocked myself too. I was always either made no pick for some day or busted out early in this thing. This must be some kind of a one time fluke.

oohsalmon
09-01-2008, 12:38 PM
You pretty much had to pick from Mauresmo-Pennetta if you wanted to beat the draw. Oh well. It's what I had to do.

munchin
09-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Wow, I am pretty shocked myself too. I was always either made no pick for some day or busted out early in this thing. This must be some kind of a one time fluke.

Well, as long as you promise it's a fluke, I'll throw you a life preserver...

Jack
09-01-2008, 01:00 PM
You pretty much had to pick from Mauresmo-Pennetta if you wanted to beat the draw. Oh well. It's what I had to do.

Unless you had already used them both. :(

Oh well, the Maid took me out, but I was planning to beat the draw by going Venus (QF - top half)
Jankovic (SF - bottom half)
Safina (SF - top half)
Dementieva (RU)
Serena (W)

So if that's how the event turns out, I'll be really ripped at Marion. :mad:

Moose
09-01-2008, 01:05 PM
and then there were 6.

suliso
09-01-2008, 02:44 PM
If Dementieva wins her QF and I am pretty sure she will, munchin is the only one with a chance of beating the draw...

munchin
09-01-2008, 03:39 PM
If Dementieva wins her QF and I am pretty sure she will, munchin is the only one with a chance of beating the draw...

Let's throw munchin in the lake.

kknudsen
09-01-2008, 04:05 PM

I'll help :)

evil_juju
09-01-2008, 07:43 PM

I'll help too!

thotchkin
09-02-2008, 07:54 AM

Heck, co-winning the Wimbledon Men's SP was so big for me, I'll jump in the lake in victory if I can just make it to the Women's Finals here. Of course, for that to happen, Pennetta will have to beat Safina, so I'm not getting overly excited about my prospects.

Moose
09-02-2008, 08:08 AM
Very easy recap for today's picks. With 6 remaining players in our game, we've got the picks divided this way:

5: Jelena Jankovic
1: Patty Schnyder

We could potentially have a winner at days end, if Patty beats Elena, and Sybille takes out Jelena tonight, so stay tuned!

suliso
09-02-2008, 08:33 AM
We could potentially have a winner at days end, if Patty beats Elena, and Sybille takes out Jelena tonight, so stay tuned!

Elena and Sybille winning would also end the game.

Vlad
09-02-2008, 08:46 AM
Elena and Sybille winning would also end the game.

In that case there would be 6 winners? or no winner?

suliso
09-02-2008, 08:48 AM
In that case there would be 6 winners? or no winner?

Vlad
09-02-2008, 08:50 AM

Oh ok. I was not really paying attention who wins SP, but what was the maximum number of players won at the same time?

suliso
09-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Oh ok. I was not really paying attention who wins SP, but what was the maximum number of players won at the same time?

Moose probably knows the exact number, but I believe it was close to 30 (2007 women's FO)...

thumm
09-02-2008, 03:36 PM

Exactly.

Charlie02123
09-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Moose probably knows the exact number, but I believe it was close to 30 (2007 women's FO)...

It's one of my only medals. :D

Moose
09-02-2008, 03:44 PM

Excellent memory, Suliso. It was 29 in the 2007 French womens. We lost a day of the game to all the rain delays, so it became much easier for folks to beat the draw (especially with Justine saved by everyone to win the event).

ptmcmahon
09-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Picks left by player:

Dementieva - 1
Jankovic - 0

Pennetta - 5
Safina - 4

Serena - 5
Venus - 1

As mentioned earlier in the thread...munchin is the only one who can beat the draw.

So far it looks like Thotckin may win if Pennetta wins tomorrow, with so far the others picking Safina. Thotchkin is the only one with Venus left, and thus will be in good shape if someone else takes Pennetta and Pennetta and Venus both wins.

munchin
09-03-2008, 12:12 AM
I hope evil juju doesn't forget to pick. No, really I do.

mmmm8
09-03-2008, 01:38 AM
I hope evil juju doesn't forget to pick. No, really I do.

I saw him today and, let's just say, he did not show similar concern for your success in this Suicide Pool :cheesy:

munchin
09-03-2008, 02:25 AM
I saw him today and, let's just say, he did not show similar concern for your success in this Suicide Pool :cheesy:

EDIT: I hope evil_juju has been tied to a chair and will remain there for the next 12 hours....just kidding...

evil_juju
09-03-2008, 04:47 AM
EDIT: I hope evil_juju has been tied to a chair and will remain there for the next 12 hours....just kidding...

I picked HA!

Moose
09-03-2008, 08:14 AM
With 5 contestants left in the game, everything is riding on the day's first womens' quarterfinal match. Four of our five remaining players stake everything on Dinara Safina, while 1 (Thotchkin) goes with Flavia Pennetta.

For the 2nd day in a row, our game could come to an end, and we'll have only one winner this go round, if the upset happens. Otherwise, 4 players will advance to the semi-finals from a pool that began with 268 people.

thotchkin
09-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Congrats, folks. I wish I'd had Safina still active, but such was not the case. Hopefully, you'll all have a great next round although I think tonight's match will eliminate at least someone from beating the draw.

Go <fill in first name here> Williams!

Moose
09-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Congrats, folks. I wish I'd had Safina still active, but such was not the case. Hopefully, you'll all have a great next round although I think tonight's match will eliminate at least someone from beating the draw.

Congrats, Thotchkin. You had an excellent run.

And now, we are down to 4.

Vlad
09-03-2008, 12:31 PM

Good game thotchkin :). I will have similar fate soon as I only have 1 available pick out of 4 semifinalists. But I don't care anymore, I will be cheering against my pick in semis anyway (if Serena even wins tonight's match).

patrick
09-03-2008, 12:32 PM

Congrats. You will still win SP if Venus win tonight.

Moose
09-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Congrats. You will still win SP if Venus win tonight.

No, Patrick - Thotchikin can't win. Everyone else had Safina today, so Thotchkin is out of contention no matter what happens tonight.

patrick
09-03-2008, 12:37 PM
No, Patrick - Thotchikin can't win. Everyone else had Safina today, so Thotchkin is out of contention no matter what happens tonight.

Thanks for the correction.

munchin
09-03-2008, 01:55 PM
Am I correct in my thinking that I can at least tie for the win, no matter what the remaining results are, as long as I don't do anything incredibly stupid?

suliso
09-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Am I correct in my thinking that I can at least tie for the win, no matter what the remaining results are, as long as I don't do anything incredibly stupid?

I think so, but you have to take Serena in SF (assuming she gets there)

Vlad
09-03-2008, 01:58 PM

Therefore, please do something incredibly stupid. ;)

munchin
09-03-2008, 01:59 PM
I think so, but you have to take Serena in SF (assuming she gets there)

Only if she gets there. Otherwise I can take Dementieva...and fail to beat the draw :( but then again, trying to beat the draw might qualify as doing something stupid.

munchin
09-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Therefore, please do something incredibly stupid. ;)

Okay, I hope someone opens the thread soon so I can make Tatiana Golovin my Day 12 pick.

kknudsen
09-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Hey Munchin ... Remember what it was like to win your first medal? I've never won a medal and never even come close ... don't you think you could forget to pick tomorrow ... you'd make a girl real happy! (And two others happy as well ... just think of all the joy you'd bringing by one small omission ...)

;););)

munchin
09-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Hey Munchin ... Remember what it was like to win your first medal? I've never won a medal and never even come close ... don't you think you could forget to pick tomorrow ... you'd make a girl real happy! (And two others happy as well ... just think of all the joy you'd bringing by one small omission ...)

;););)

I thought the women's SF were both played on Friday...I will gladly do you the kindness of not picking tomorrow.

kknudsen
09-03-2008, 02:09 PM
I thought the women's SF were both played on Friday...I will gladly do you the kindness of not picking tomorrow.

No day off for the ladies the day before the final ... that's not nice!

Whereas you on the other hand are so nice ... that you'll forget to pick on Friday right ... incidentially I just checked Vlad and Evil JuJu don't have medals yet either ... just think of the happiness you'll give ...

:cheesy::)

kknudsen
09-03-2008, 02:10 PM
Hey Moose ... I'm going to be at a boring work function tomorrow and Friday ... if Serena wins tonight can you pick her for me for Friday please.

Thanks
Kerri

munchin
09-03-2008, 02:36 PM
No day off for the ladies the day before the final ... that's not nice!

Whereas you on the other hand are so nice ... that you'll forget to pick on Friday right ... incidentially I just checked Vlad and Evil JuJu don't have medals yet either ... just think of the happiness you'll give ...

:cheesy::)

It's because I'm so nice that I want this medal so much. I mean, look at the poor lonely medal in my box. What kind of person would I be if I didn't do everything I could to try to get her some company?

kknudsen
09-03-2008, 02:42 PM
It's because I'm so nice that I want this medal so much. I mean, look at the poor lonely medal in my box. What kind of person would I be if I didn't do everything I could to try to get her some company?

you're funny ... maybe I don't want to throw you into a lake after all ... you being so nice and all :)

evil_juju
09-03-2008, 03:39 PM
you're funny ... maybe I don't want to throw you into a lake after all ... you being so nice and all :)

don't believe the niceness!!! LOL!! ;)

munchin
09-03-2008, 04:35 PM
don't believe the niceness!!! LOL!! ;)

Hey, I can be trusted :evil:

Moose
09-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Okay, I hope someone opens the thread soon so I can make Tatiana Golovin my Day 12 pick.

This reminded me of the episode of "Cheers" when Cliff Claven appeared on "Jeopardy".

munchin
09-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Well, that's the ballgame. Congrats to my fellow winners. Elena...I'm appalled.

kknudsen
09-05-2008, 02:13 PM
So with Dementieva's loss, does this mean we all get medals???

(Thanks for making my pick Moose!)

Moose
09-05-2008, 03:43 PM
So with Dementieva's loss, does this mean we all get medals???

(Thanks for making my pick Moose!)

Yes, indeed, KKnudsen. All 4 of you (Munchin, JuJu, Vlad and yourself) medal in our 2008 USO Game. So you finally are getting your first!

kknudsen
09-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Yes, indeed, KKnudsen. All 4 of you (Munchin, JuJu, Vlad and yourself) medal in our 2008 USO Game. So you finally are getting your first!

YEAH!!! :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

And we didn't even have to throw Munchin in the lake!

Thanks so much for a fun SP ... and congrats to Vlad, JuJu and Munchin!

evil_juju
09-05-2008, 08:48 PM
woo hoo! way to go! a medal FINALLY!!!!!!!

Jack
09-06-2008, 06:41 AM
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n124/jrcunniff/bartoli2.jpg

Bonjour mes amis!

I am joyeux that my 4R match against Mama Bammer was the only thing preventing Jack from medaling! Tres bien!!