PDA

View Full Version : Riddle Me This

Sebastien447
09-29-2004, 10:39 AM
a quickie ...

I want to go home but I can't. There's a man wearing a mask waiting for me there.

Where am I?

Sebastien447
10-01-2004, 08:02 AM
Just a crazy guess but a baseball field...playing baseball.

nothing crazy about that guess Bets ...

you're right, though more specifically ...

I'm on third base.

This riddle occurred in the 3rd Die Hard movie, do you remember it?

You have one 5 gallon jug and one 3 gallon jug. Volume of each jug is exact, as measured when filled to the brim. You also have as much water as you need at your disposal.

Using only the jugs and the water, how can you fill the 5 gallon jug with precisely 4 gallons of water. The measurement must be exact!

3mlm
10-04-2004, 10:57 PM
You have one 5 gallon jug and one 3 gallon jug. Volume of each jug is exact, as measured when filled to the brim. You also have as much water as you need at your disposal.

Using only the jugs and the water, how can you fill the 5 gallon jug with precisely 4 gallons of water. The measurement must be exact!

Fill up the 5 gallon jug, then fill up the 3 gallon jug from the 5 gallon jug, leaving 2 gallons in the 5 gallon jug. Empty the 3 gallon jug and pour the 2 gallons from the 5 gallon jug into the 3 gallon jug. Fill the 5 gallon jug up again. Finish filling up the 3 gallon jug from the 5 gallon jug, which takes 1 gallon, and there you have your 4 gallons of water in the 5 gallon can.

Of course, it won't be exact since no one can pour water from one jug to another without spilling some.

Sebastien447
10-05-2004, 12:14 AM
Kudos to 3mlm ... the TAT puzzle expert! :D

The movie solution was to fill the 3 gal, pour into the 5 ... fill the 3 gal again and again pour into the 5, leaving 1 gal in the 3 gal jug. Then empty the 5 and pour the 1 gal from the 3 into the 5. Then fill the 3 and add to the 1 gal in the 5.

Sebastien447
10-10-2004, 05:22 AM
5 HATS RIDDLE

There are 5 hats. Three are blue, two are red. They are placed in a box and mixed up. Three people are blind folded and standing in a line one behind the other facing forward. Each person reaches into the box, one at a time and withdraws a hat which is then placed on their head. Their blind folds are then removed.

The last of the persons in line (who sees the other two) says: I don't know the color of my hat. Then the second (who can only see the person in front) says: I don't know the color of my hat. Then the first person in line says: I am positive that I know the color of my hat!

How?

If you think you know how, please IM me the explanation

sorry leah, I botched it the first time ::)

Sebastien447
10-10-2004, 05:36 AM
Johnny says, "Everything I say is a lie"

Is Johnny lying?

leah_jewel
10-10-2004, 06:27 AM
5 HATS RIDDLE

No worries, Bastien. :D I enjoyed it all the same.

3mlm
10-10-2004, 01:28 PM
5 HATS RIDDLE

There are 5 hats. Three are blue, two are red. They are placed in a box and mixed up. Three people are blind folded and standing in a line one behind the other facing forward. Each person reaches into the box, one at a time and withdraws a hat which is then placed on their head. Their blind folds are then removed.

The last of the persons in line (who sees the other two) says: I don't know the color of my hat. Then the second (who can only see the person in front) says: I don't know the color of my hat. Then the first person in line says: I am positive that I know the color of my hat!

How?

If you think you know how, please IM me the explanation

I know the answer but it's hard to explain (despite my good spelling I'm still three sheets to the wind).

I'll IM you anyway.

Sebastien447
10-10-2004, 11:22 PM
leah and 3m got the hat riddle :)

very nice ... I consider it to be fairly tough.

Sebastien447
10-18-2006, 08:42 AM
A man named Kirkie went to the mountains for some camping by horseback. He left on a Friday and returned home exactly 1 week later, yet he claims that he came back on Tuesday. How is this possible?

neka
10-18-2006, 10:21 AM
A man named Kirkie went to the mountains for some camping by horseback. He left on a Friday and returned home exactly 1 week later, yet he claims that he came back on Tuesday. How is this possible?

X-files? Trust no one? ;D I'm too tired now Seb, but I'll give it some thought...