PDA

View Full Version : Ask Questions About The Suicide Pool Here

Moose
08-16-2008, 07:21 AM
If you have any questions about the US Open Suicide Pool, post it in this thread and we'll answer it as soon as we can.

Jack
08-16-2008, 08:12 AM
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n124/jrcunniff/golovin.jpg

Will I be entered in the draw? And if I am, will people even have enough faith to pick me against a lowly ranked US wildcard?

X:(X:(
Tati

nelslus
08-16-2008, 08:28 AM
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n124/jrcunniff/golovin.jpg

Will I be entered in the draw? And if I am, will people even have enough faith to pick me against a lowly ranked US wildcard?

X:(X:(
Tati

I wouldn't take Tati in a match against our blind one-eyed 507 year old cat. Or the blonde Bondarenko, either. (In doubles, I could go for the Bondarenkos for a few matches......)

zephblabs
08-16-2008, 10:03 AM
what? time for another suicide pool? i have not slept for more than three hours a day since the olympics started! tati's gonna be prettier than me by the time the Fed wins the US open.

Charlie02123
08-16-2008, 02:44 PM
I wouldn't take Tati in a match against our blind one-eyed 507 year old cat. Or the blonde Bondarenko, either. (In doubles, I could go for the Bondarenkos for a few matches......)
The Sphinx d Golovin 6-1 5-0 ret...

ptmcmahon
08-17-2008, 07:45 AM
Check out this helpful post by Ti-Amie ... shows how the rounds will be split up. I know IF I'm around in week two I'll be trying to figure out how many picks I have left:

Round Schedule (http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum/showpost.php?p=331405&postcount=10)

mjschaefer
08-19-2008, 08:33 AM
Is it safer to use Roger early? Then later when he could draw players such as Karlovic, Simon, or Blake?

Moose
08-19-2008, 08:40 AM
Is it safer to use Roger early? Then later when he could draw players such as Karlovic, Simon, or Blake?

Depends. If he draws Malisse, pass on him. Malisse as a first round SP pick is as close to a guarantee as this game has ever produced. Of course, we have to count on X-Man getting out of qualies this year.

On the other hand, if he draws Vliegen...

shtexas
08-19-2008, 08:43 AM
Check out this helpful post by Ti-Amie ... shows how the rounds will be split up. I know IF I'm around in week two I'll be trying to figure out how many picks I have left:

Round Schedule (http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum/showpost.php?p=331405&postcount=10)

The thing about the men's suicide pool is that extra first round pick. Makes it a little more difficult. Thirteen correct picks needed to beat the draw.

patrick
08-19-2008, 10:44 AM
The thing about the men's suicide pool is that extra first round pick. Makes it a little more difficult. Thirteen correct picks needed to beat the draw.

Forgot that this is the toughest suicide pool to win.

tinamarie
08-21-2008, 04:29 AM
I have a question: I will not be able to go online for the first week of the Open. My room mate ("carmen") will post my picks together with her own. Is that ok?

morct
08-21-2008, 05:59 AM
I have a question: I will not be able to go online for the first week of the Open. My room mate ("carmen") will post my picks together with her own. Is that ok?

That's fine once she makes a separate post for your picks, and specifies that they are for you. If she puts that in bold it will be easier for us to spot it. :)

Moose
08-21-2008, 05:59 AM

That's fine, TinaMarie...just two things, if it is possible.

1. Ask Carmen to post the picks seperately, rather than in the same post. It's easiest for us to manage (at least I think so) if each pick is in a seperate post.

2. Make sure she clearly states which one is hers and which one is yours.

shtexas
08-21-2008, 08:16 AM

1. Ask Carmen to post the picks seperately, rather than in the same post. It's easiest for us to manage (at least I think so) if each pick is in a seperate post.

Ditto :cheesy:

And I like morct mentioning "bolding", like

TinaMarie chooses Malisse.

korjik
08-21-2008, 11:54 AM
This is the first time I'm going to do this suicide pool and I didn't see anywhere where to post our picks? Will there be a new thread? :confused:

Moose
08-21-2008, 11:58 AM
This is the first time I'm going to do this suicide pool and I didn't see anywhere where to post our picks? Will there be a new thread? :confused:

Welcome to TAT, korjik!

When the Order of Play is announced for Monday (sometime late Saturday, or early Sunday a.m.) we will post the Day 1 Picks thread for both the Mens and the Ladies game. That is the thread where you will post your first selection. Then each day, we will have a new thread started, called Day 2 Mens...(etc) for your pick.

shtexas
08-21-2008, 12:00 PM

Welcome!

Yes. There will be separate threads once the schedule for day 1 comes out over the weekend.

There will be separate threads for the men's pool and the women's pool, titled something like "Day 1 Men's US Open SP Picks" and "Day 1 Women's US Open SP Picks"

Doll_Face
08-21-2008, 12:30 PM
The rest of you lovely members can forget about your picks, cause Dolly is gonna kick all your asses, lol.

:bowing:

tinamarie
08-22-2008, 05:43 AM
That's fine once she makes a separate post for your picks, and specifies that they are for you. If she puts that in bold it will be easier for us to spot it. :)

Great. Thanks a lot, guys. I'll tell her how she should post them.

Carmen
08-22-2008, 06:10 AM
Got it ;)

but you can call me anyway roomie

korjik
08-22-2008, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the explanation. I'm cheering for Marat and Dinara!
:smitten::smitten::smitten::smitten::smitten:

shtexas
08-22-2008, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the explanation. I'm cheering for Marat and Dinara!
:smitten::smitten::smitten::smitten::smitten:

I hope she's not too tired, because she has played the best this summer.

beaujarkko
08-22-2008, 11:57 AM
I hope she's not too tired, because she has played the best this summer.

By far!

Though I'm giving props to Lena D for her Wimby SF and her Olympic gold medal!

courtsmanship
08-22-2008, 03:20 PM
If you have any questions about the US Open Suicide Pool, post it in this thread and we'll answer it as soon as we can.

Sorry to sound dumb, but how do I actually enter the suicide pool?

beaujarkko
08-22-2008, 03:29 PM
Sorry to sound dumb, but how do I actually enter the suicide pool?

Welcome to TAT, korjik!

When the Order of Play is announced for Monday (sometime late Saturday, or early Sunday a.m.) we will post the Day 1 Picks thread for both the Mens and the Ladies game. That is the thread where you will post your first selection. Then each day, we will have a new thread started, called Day 2 Mens...(etc) for your pick.

Welcome!

Yes. There will be separate threads once the schedule for day 1 comes out over the weekend.

There will be separate threads for the men's pool and the women's pool, titled something like "Day 1 Men's US Open SP Picks" and "Day 1 Women's US Open SP Picks"

Hey courtsmanship, welcome to TAT! Moose and shtexas (who, by the way, will be doing a lot of the running of this contest, so if they've posted something, it's probably worthwhile to read!) have covered the actual "entering" of the contest nicely, so I've quoted their posts for you to make it convenient. Starting Sunday afternoon/night is when we'll post the first thread for the picks (one thread for the women, one for the men) and your first pick, which you will put in that thread, is your official "entry" into the contest. Hope this all helps!

Jack
08-22-2008, 04:05 PM
I know how to enter, but can someone tell me how to win one of these damn things?

garp6
08-26-2008, 02:30 PM
I'll be in NY for the USO and will have my Blackberry but without web access (corporate issue).

Can I email my picks to Tatpicks@yahoo.com if I'm in a situation like where a Youzhny withdraws and I need to change the pick quickly.

Of course this is all irrelevant unless Fish hurries up and knocks Smeets out of the way.

Thanks

Jay
08-26-2008, 02:34 PM
I'll be in NY for the USO and will have my Blackberry but without web access (corporate issue).

Can I email my picks to Tatpicks@yahoo.com if I'm in a situation like where a Youzhny withdraws and I need to change the pick quickly.

Of course this is all irrelevant unless Fish hurries up and knocks Smeets out of the way.

Thanks
If you email them before play starts, I'm sure you'd be able to. Although, I'll let Moose or Shtexas give the final answer on that since I'm not 100%

Jay
08-26-2008, 02:35 PM
I know how to enter, but can someone tell me how to win one of these damn things?
God can.
but good luck waiting for him to tell you :p

shtexas
08-26-2008, 02:37 PM

Thanks

Yes! We check tatpicks at the deadline to see if there are any e-mails.

Vlad
08-28-2008, 10:47 PM
So, if I am not around here during weekend, yet still in SP, who should I send my picks?

shtexas
08-28-2008, 10:50 PM
So, if I am not around here during weekend, yet still in SP, who should I send my picks?

You can e-mail tatpicks@yahoo.com

Or, you can pm me, if you like.

Vlad
08-28-2008, 10:55 PM
You can e-mail tatpicks@yahoo.com

Or, you can pm me, if you like.

OK, thank you, I will try to do that.

mwoods
08-30-2008, 12:51 PM
I forget how the USO schedule works. After tomorrow, do all the men play on the same day for the rest of the way? (So, 5 more picks?)

shtexas
08-30-2008, 12:57 PM
I forget how the USO schedule works. After tomorrow, do all the men play on the same day for the rest of the way? (So, 5 more picks?)

It's the most difficult. The round of 16 is split, and the quarters is split (never mind the fact we had 3 first round picks). 13 correct picks in all to beat the draw.

mwoods
08-30-2008, 01:12 PM
It's the most difficult. The round of 16 is split, and the quarters is split (never mind the fact we had 3 first round picks). 13 correct picks in all to beat the draw.

Dag yo. Thanks, shtexas!

Last_Neuron
08-30-2008, 09:15 PM
Do you know if all the QF picks are in the same day? (ie all the Women QF in one day and all the Mens QF in the next day)? I am asking b/c I am running out of opitons for my picks..:(

thnx!

Martini4me
08-30-2008, 09:18 PM
See the post two above yours.

shtexas
08-30-2008, 09:30 PM
Do you know if all the QF picks are in the same day? (ie all the Women QF in one day and all the Mens QF in the next day)? I am asking b/c I am running out of opitons for my picks..:(

thnx!

Unfortunately, they are all split.

Last_Neuron
08-31-2008, 05:43 AM
Thank you Martini and shtexas!