PDA

View Full Version : World's Greatest Athlete?

Pierre1
06-20-2008, 10:19 AM
According to sports rag, the Wall Street Journal:

Number 1 is Czech decathlete, Roman Sebrle.

LeBron is Number 2 and Federer comes in at Number 5.

I assume it's only men as Zuzana's name does not appear.

Le Link:

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/info-GREATEST08.html

Moose
06-20-2008, 10:24 AM
A-Rod top 10 :hyst:

Glad to see the number of track and field stars in the top 10. LeBron at two is a bit of a reach. And I'm sorta surprised there are no gymnasts in the Top 10.

Pierre1
06-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Maybe the WSJ should stay out of sports. It is a curious list.

Ti-Amie
06-20-2008, 10:47 AM
Never knew Ronaldinho's real/full name. I dont' see LeBron at #2 though.

patrick
06-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Too lazy to look, where is Tiger?

munchin
06-20-2008, 01:38 PM
Too lazy to look, where is Tiger?

Not present. Probably because he only has a (relatively) limited set of athletic movements he must perform.

mmmm8
06-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Not present. Probably because he only has a (relatively) limited set of athletic movements he must perform.

"Sitting down on a cart," "walking leisurely," and "standing there" are athletic movements? ;)

Pierre1
06-20-2008, 04:47 PM
No one can say that Tiger is out of shape, but does golf require an athletic physique?

Variations in golf. Woods - Daly

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm312/marius208/Woodsdaly.jpg

Charlie02123
06-20-2008, 05:46 PM
No one can say that Tiger is out of shape, but does golf require an athletic physique?

That's what I struggle with in whether to consider it a sport or not. I feel like an obese person shouldn't be able to be a professional athlete. Being fit certainly helps in golf, though. Of course, it also helps in other things like professional poker.

Charlie02123
06-20-2008, 05:47 PM
I guess I'm fine with Tiger being considered a professional athlete. He is certainly much more fit than I am. Still I wonder: if one of the golfers with a huge gut was earning Tiger's results, would he be on the list?

beaujarkko
06-20-2008, 06:45 PM
I guess I'm fine with Tiger being considered a professional athlete. He is certainly much more fit than I am. Still I wonder: if one of the golfers with a huge gut was earning Tiger's results, would he be on the list?

Considering Tiger himself is not, I'm hard-pressed to believe someone else would be, especially when the subject is athleticism.

Charlie02123
06-20-2008, 07:11 PM
Considering Tiger himself is not, I'm hard-pressed to believe someone else would be, especially when the subject is athleticism.

Ah. I didn't look at the list and assumed he was on there because he was being discussed. Nevermind! :)

oohsalmon
06-21-2008, 11:50 AM

:D

bea26
06-21-2008, 01:15 PM

Women athletes? Hahaha! The only iron they can pump comes with an cloth covered board. They only thing they can run are my errands! Go long, woman - with my babies!

Jack
06-22-2008, 10:10 AM
That's what I struggle with in whether to consider it a sport or not. I feel like an obese person shouldn't be able to be a professional athlete. Being fit certainly helps in golf, though. Of course, it also helps in other things like professional poker.

NFL Offensive Linemen and MLB pitchers aren't slim either.

Miles
06-22-2008, 10:20 AM
NFL Offensive Linemen and MLB pitchers aren't slim either.

No, but those are team sports, and they play in specialized positions. Can an entire team of overweight players with in the NFL or MLB. No.

Outside of Sumo wrestling (which requires the girth to lower the body's center of gravity), if the fat guy can win it is NOT a sport.

Golf is a skill. Simple as that.

Jack
06-22-2008, 10:30 AM
No, but those are team sports, and they play in specialized positions. Can an entire team of overweight players with in the NFL or MLD. No.

Outside of Sumo wrestling (which requires the girth to lower the body's center of gravity), if the fat guy can win it is NOT a sport.

Golf is a skill. Simple as that.

But if you can perform better in the event by being in shape, wouldn't you consider it more than a skill? Obviously, Tiger wouldn't be Tiger without being in incredible shape (same for Ochoa, Sorenstam, Creamer, etc.). Whereas Daly would probably have had a much better career had he not been 60 lbs overweight. I think Mickelson could challenge more if he'd drop 15 lbs. (He's #2, but in points he's closer to #100 than to #1. Kind of like the Nalbandian of golf, in more ways than one.)

missinandre
06-24-2008, 04:00 PM
I can't believe that....there is still a question of whether golf is a "sport" and the pro-golfers "athletes".

Golf requires INCREDIBLE concentration and eye/hand cordination and the use of muscles that other sports don't even know exist.

Just because some golfers are out of shape doesn't mean that they aren't athletes or that golf isn't a sport. That pic of John Daly next to Tiger means nada....when you compare their winning records. Obviously, as in ANY sport, if you want to win to have to be in top shape.

Cadavay has been relentlessly picked on by the press, her country and tennis fans.....she is out of shape, has no fitness, has no endurance, is probably overweight for the sport etc....but would anyone question her status as a pro athlete?

Frankly, IMO Roger Federer and Tiger Woods belong at the top of the list for top athletes because....both within their respective sports and outside of their respective sports....there is no other athlete that can measure up to them and both of them have YEARS left in the sport where....when they leave...they will probably be on a pinnacle of records that will never be broken. I mean, come on. Would you compare Flex Wheeler with Shaq? Or Lance Armstrong with the head of the canadian curling team? I don't hear anyone arguing that pushing a little round something with a broom is NOT a sport!

ponchi101
06-24-2008, 04:16 PM
I can't believe that....there is still a question of whether golf is a "sport" and the pro-golfers "athletes".

Golf requires INCREDIBLE concentration and eye/hand cordination and the use of muscles that other sports don't even know exist.

Could you please expand? golfer use their.... gluteus maximus to sit on a cart that takes them to where the ball is? They use their .... thumb and index finger to hold a club and check for the "vertical" line on a green? (you know, those wacky gravitational fields at golf courses).
John McEnroe: "I thought in order for it to be called a sport, at some moment you had to run"

mmmm8
06-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Golf is a sport in that it's a competition. So is billiards (and there is probably more muscle use there). To me, it's almost insulting to other athletes to call either of these athletic competition.

missinandre
06-25-2008, 06:52 AM
Could you please expand? golfer use their.... gluteus maximus to sit on a cart that takes them to where the ball is? They use their .... thumb and index finger to hold a club and check for the "vertical" line on a green? (you know, those wacky gravitational fields at golf courses).
John McEnroe: "I thought in order for it to be called a sport, at some moment you had to run"

Oh come on! Have you never swung a driver? You need perfect positioning and movement of you head, neck, back, hips legs and yes, feet!

Without perfect positions and precise movement (not unlike the precise movement of a racket swing), you will not generate the force or the precision required to get that tiny ball exactly where you need it to go, never mind that you need to actually place the ball in the fairway!

I don't hear anyone questioning curling.....hmmm is THAT a sport? Are those participants athletes? And yet.....they have a chance for olympic medals...the forum for the GREATEST ATHLETES in the world!

How can you honestly question golf as a sport?

Miles
06-25-2008, 08:58 AM
Oh come on! Have you never swung a driver? You need perfect positioning and movement of you head, neck, back, hips legs and yes, feet!

Without perfect positions and precise movement (not unlike the precise movement of a racket swing), you will not generate the force or the precision required to get that tiny ball exactly where you need it to go, never mind that you need to actually place the ball in the fairway!

Are you describing golf or dart throwing?

missinandre
06-25-2008, 09:08 AM
Are you describing golf or dart throwing?

You are comparing golf to DART THROWING? :p:p:p:p

Dart throwing requires that the whole body be still and the only movement come from the arm....

I am describing golf....

ponchi101
06-25-2008, 09:36 AM
Non sports:
Curling.
Bowling.
Pool, snookers, all those variations.
Poker
Chess (unless flexing your eyebrows count for something).
Darts
There must be some other.
And golf.

They ALL need terrific skills, but saying that if something requires incredible skills that makes it a sport would make playing any musical instrument a sport.

(and yes, I have swung a golf club. I did for years, and indeed, it is extremely hard. But I wanted to break a sweat, so I stuck to tennis ;) )

Miles
06-25-2008, 09:38 AM
You can add horse racing and auto racing to the list or for that matter, anything that requires sitting.

missinandre
06-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Non sports:
Curling.
Bowling.
Pool, snookers, all those variations.
Poker
Chess (unless flexing your eyebrows count for something).
Darts
There must be some other.
And golf.

They ALL need terrific skills, but saying that if something requires incredible skills that makes it a sport would make playing any musical instrument a sport.

(and yes, I have swung a golf club. I did for years, and indeed, it is extremely hard. But I wanted to break a sweat, so I stuck to tennis ;) )

LMAO!!! Say...would you consider golf a sport if the golfers had to carry their own bag and RUN to the holes instead? And .....timing was included in the scoring?

You can't compare golf and chess. Golf is a physical game that takes skill, strategy and yes, physical fitness. Chess doesn't ....

missinandre
06-25-2008, 09:43 AM
When I first joined his board....Ace2Ace remarked that tennis fans are some of the cruelest people around....

Let's change that to sports fans. They are just plain mean.....:p:o

Miles
06-25-2008, 09:46 AM
LMAO!!! Say...would you consider golf a sport if the golfers had to carry their own bag and RUN to the holes instead? And .....timing was included in the scoring?

Yes, since that would require actual sweating (and not because it's really hot out).

ponchi101
06-25-2008, 09:51 AM

You can't compare golf and chess. Golf is a physical game that takes skill, strategy and yes, physical fitness. Chess doesn't ....

Ok. We are getting somewhere: we agree on chess (which I enjoy a lot).
And I like your idea of making golfers carry their own bags and running to the hole.
Remember Doonesbury biathlon? Golf and Sun Tanning? Zonker Harris was a world champion. But I digress...
(BTW, I am almost completely joking here)

missinandre
06-25-2008, 01:24 PM
Ok. We are getting somewhere: we agree on chess (which I enjoy a lot).
And I like your idea of making golfers carry their own bags and running to the hole.
Remember Doonesbury biathlon? Golf and Sun Tanning? Zonker Harris was a world champion. But I digress...
(BTW, I am almost completely joking here)

Zonker cracks me up! (Doonsbury has been hard to read lately due to the trauma Mike suffered in the war. It breaks my heart....)

But.....don't doubt that....one day....things may change in golf to make it more competitive...physically competitive, that is...

missinandre
06-25-2008, 02:36 PM
I've been doing some reading up on this list.....It is kind of silly really. Golf was one of the sports just ....pushed aside and yet....the criteria for judging was :

The judges graded athletes on speed, reflexes, stamina, and coordination, as well as power, strength and size. All of these criteria are used in golf, give me a break!

But....the "researchers" or "scientists" were flawed in their study from the beginning because of how they did not establish basically (for a lack of better wording) what a sport is...and...they had no real grounds for not including athletes such as Tiger or Michal Phelps in their study.....

and...they readily acknowledge that world class athletes generally.....excel in a strict area.....you can't expect a tennis player to excel in baseball or a basketball player to excel in track or swimming..

This list is.....patooey.