PDA

View Full Version : Tiger disses Hockey

sportfan92
06-04-2008, 10:25 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Tiger-Woods-ambassador-of-sports-except-for-ho?urn=nhl,85795

"I don't really care," he said with an impish smile. "It's all about the Dodgers. I don't think anyone really watches hockey anymore." - Tiger Woods

Tiger is correct I suppose and is free to think what he wants but I hope he realizes that hockey is MUCH harder than golf on the body with stamina and endurance it requires. Golf might be a more famous sport worldwide but I hope he realizes hockey is without a doubt harder sport to play.

Gretzky said "You ever tried to golf? You better be a good athlete if you try to golf."

Gretzky basically commended Tiger's sport(in an EXTREMELY nice way........who seriously thinks golf requires you to be a good athlete?) so perhaps the least Tiger could do was maybe say something nice back too?

GVGirl
06-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Golf? Is that a sport?;)

I'm a big hockey fan. I used to play as a kid.

The NHL has been so poorly marketed!

jjnow
06-04-2008, 10:30 AM
I enjoy the sport quite a bit, but I have seen some of the PGA, and no, you don't need to be a great athlete to play. Ask any 50 year old man in suburbia.

A pretty rude statement from Tiger. Hopefully he didn't mean it in the context it's being reported.

JTContinental
06-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Why does Tiger's opinion on hockey matter?

oohsalmon
06-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Tiger, no need to give me more reasons to dislike you. Bitch.

(I know this is an incredibly unpopular sentiment, but me no likey).

JTContinental
06-04-2008, 10:40 AM

I'm as ambivalent about Tiger Woods as I am about golf.

Martini4me
06-04-2008, 10:47 AM
I heard about that comment. My thought was, "You mean people still watch golf without falling asleep?"

GVGirl
06-04-2008, 10:50 AM

Like him or not, Tiger is responsible for more folks watching and participating in golf than ever.

Also, sad as it is, it's true that no one seems to be watching hockey in the US. :cry:

Again I say it's poorly marketed.

beaujarkko
06-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Being one of those few people who would prefer watching golf to hockey (plus, golf has been responsible for some of my best naps, ever), even I find the statement appalling. And I also wonder why it matters at all to the rest of us that he feels this way.

GVGirl
06-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Being one of those few people who would prefer watching golf to hockey (plus, golf has been responsible for some of my best naps, ever), even I find the statement appalling. And I also wonder why it matters at all to the rest of us that he feels this way.

Listening to the Master's music is a great way to fall asleep.;)

beaujarkko
06-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Listening to the Master's music is a great way to fall asleep.;)

I don't get it :confused: Sorry.

GVGirl
06-04-2008, 11:02 AM
I don't get it :confused: Sorry.

The musical theme to the Master's golf tournament, it's good sleepy time music.

beaujarkko
06-04-2008, 11:04 AM
The musical theme to the Master's golf tournament, it's good sleepy time music.

LOL. Got it! And TRUE! It's the sleepytime theme :)

Kirkus
06-04-2008, 11:07 AM
I enjoy the sport quite a bit, but I have seen some of the PGA, and no, you don't need to be a great athlete to play. Ask any 50 year old man in suburbia.

A pretty rude statement from Tiger. Hopefully he didn't mean it in the context it's being reported.

What are you trying to say? ;)

jjnow
06-04-2008, 11:18 AM
What are you trying to say? ;)
LOL! :o

I was thinking more about my uncle, who is in the process of divorcing his wife of 30 years, but too busy on the green to show up to marriage counseling.

Every time I drive by a golf course now and see older men in their polos and slacks, I make associations and automatically kinda-sorta don't like them.

And like Beau, I'm someone who likes golf and doesn't care for hockey (at all), and I still think Tiger was way out of line.

sportfan92
06-04-2008, 12:02 PM

I don't think it was THAT rude. He doesn't care about hockey? so be it. No one really watches hockey, isn't that kind of true at least in US? I know Canada is obsessed with them, having lived in both before.

The only thing we can wonder is whether he really respects Hockey as a sport. Because if he meant it in the sense "Hockey is not that good of a sport", then it's a problem.

Honestly, anyone with a brain knows that hockey is a more physically demanding sport than golf.

PeterSkan
06-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Ok, Tiger ... don't knock it until you've tried it. I remember Don Cherry chastizing hockey players by calling them sissy ballet dancers. the Royal Winnipeg Ballet challenged Cherry to participate in one of its daily workouts. Cherry, thinking "How hard could it be", took the bait. He recanted on his next telecast.

The NHL final has been fast paced and exciting. I love to watch Tiger play golf - when he's out I have diminished interest. Still, it is appealing, though in a different way than hockey. Thank goodness for such variety.

But reality *check* to Tiger: you wouldn't last a shift in the current NHL.

mmmm8
06-04-2008, 12:24 PM
I wonder if Tiger's Swedish wife has a different opinion about the popularity of hockey.

oohsalmon
06-04-2008, 01:37 PM
When has Tiger needed to move any faster than a walk in order to succeed in his sport?

Sportfan, I really dislike Tiger in general, it's not just this new anti-hockey stance.

Foxykhat
06-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Jeez, just because Tiger plays golf he's suppose to like hockey? Isn't he allowed to have an opinion?

I'm sure there's a hockey player who thinks golf is a snoozefest. And if he thinks so it's his choice to like it or not like it.

I personally find both games boring and only watches golf when Tiger is player and or winning. I probably watched Hockey for 5 min when Wayne Gretsky (sp) played.

I know we are thinking because he's a sports figure he probably should not have said it, but hey it's not that big a deal to me.

Foxy

GVGirl
06-04-2008, 01:41 PM
I wonder if Tiger's Swedish wife has a different opinion about the popularity of hockey.

She probably does, but hockey is not paying her bills, golf is. :lipsrsealed:

Pierre1
06-04-2008, 05:09 PM
When I was a kid, hockey was much bigger than it is now. We had the Bruins - Bobby Orr, Phil Esposito, Derek Sanderson, etc. They were local heroes.

Classic rivalry with the Habs.

The team is now owned by a gentleman from Buffalo who seems more interested in developing the area around the arena than doing something with his team.

Rapid expansion and then the strike, that was a real killer for the sport in the US.

jjnow
06-04-2008, 05:18 PM
When I was a kid, hockey was much bigger than it is now. We had the Bruins - Bobby Orr, Phil Esposito, Derek Sanderson, etc. They were local heroes.

Classic rivalry with the Habs.

The team is now owned by a gentleman from Buffalo who seems more interested in developing the area around the arena than doing something with his team.

Rapid expansion and then the strike, that was a real killer for the sport in the US.
I never knew there was a hockey strike.

The MLB never truly recovered from the 1994 strike. With scenarios like these, fans feel betrayed by players who already earn more than they're worth. A few years back they were threatening to strike again and this time fans said good riddance and asked the managers to bring up AAA players. The pros backed down.

ptmcmahon
06-04-2008, 05:21 PM
Tiger obviously didn't watch game 5

Pierre1
06-04-2008, 05:21 PM
I think the whole season was canceled and the Stanley cup was not awarded. Not very cool at all.

ptmcmahon
06-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Yup and yup. They didn't play a single game. Good for Pittsburgh as they got back to back #1s and got Malkin and Crosby though.

mmmm8
06-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Fortunately, the strike revived the Russian league and probably contributed to this year's hockey championship, so, clearly it did more good than bad ;)

ponchi101
06-04-2008, 06:07 PM
Story from Pete Sampras.
Pete was training in Florida with Pat Etcheberry. Etcheberry was also training a top professional golfer. In order for them to get some speed training, Etch had Pete and the golfer run the 200 Mts dash, with the golfer getting a 50 mt lead (i.e. he ran 150 mts).
Pete still beat him by a couple of steps.

Golf is a GAME, not a sport. It is very difficult, but from the physical point of view, it comes nowhere close to a real sport.
I mean, you don't play sports in corduroy pants and angora sweaters, ferchrissake!

PeterSkan
06-04-2008, 06:16 PM
If Tiger switches on Game 6 right now, the start of the 2nd period, he can take a break from his game and catch some sports.

Jack
06-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Story from Pete Sampras.
Pete was training in Florida with Pat Etcheberry. Etcheberry was also training a top professional golfer. In order for them to get some speed training, Etch had Pete and the golfer run the 200 Mts dash, with the golfer getting a 50 mt lead (i.e. he ran 150 mts).
Pete still beat him by a couple of steps.

Golf is a GAME, not a sport. It is very difficult, but from the physical point of view, it comes nowhere close to a real sport.
I mean, you don't play sports in corduroy pants and angora sweaters, ferchrissake!

How can you say that? It's very taxing for the caddies to carry the pro's bag!! ;)

ptmcmahon
06-04-2008, 07:55 PM
If Tiger switches on Game 6 right now, the start of the 2nd period, he can take a break from his game and catch some sports.

He is taking a break...he had surgery almost two months ago and still isn't back.

Charlie02123
06-04-2008, 08:10 PM
Jeez, just because Tiger plays golf he's suppose to like hockey? Isn't he allowed to have an opinion?

I'm sure there's a hockey player who thinks golf is a snoozefest. And if he thinks so it's his choice to like it or not like it.

I personally find both games boring and only watches golf when Tiger is player and or winning. I probably watched Hockey for 5 min when Wayne Gretsky (sp) played.

I know we are thinking because he's a sports figure he probably should not have said it, but hey it's not that big a deal to me.

I completely agree with you, Foxy.

I hate football. How famous can I get before I'm no longer allowed to say that?

nelslus
06-04-2008, 10:04 PM
I'm actually a big fan of Tiger when he's playing golf. And just LOOK at some of the golf pros- even tournament winners- and, to say the least, many are, ahem, weighty beyond what you could get away with any other sport. I sure as hell don't want to see Phil Mickelson and/or Craig Stadler in a bikini anytime soon.

Still, I have an alternate take on all of this: This may be the first not-completely boring thing that Tiger has ever said or will ever say in his life. Perhaps we can commend him for this.

ptmcmahon
06-05-2008, 06:51 AM
I've never found Tiger to have a problem speaking his mind actually. He wears his emotions on his sleeve, and gets very emotional when he does bad. One of the reasons I enjoy watching him - if anything, he frequently doesn't hold back.

That said he knows how to play the political game well too and often does. One of the big criticisms of him is when he could advance a cause and frequently doesn't.

missinandre
06-07-2008, 10:39 AM
I'm surprised that people just don't understand by now....that....Tiger Woods is simply not....politically correct. He just doens't do what he should and many times....he says/does what he wants without thinking.

I don't particulary mind this.....it doesn't bother me that much but I can understand how it would be offensive....to others and how it can be construed to be disrespectful to the sport of hockey....and...as a VERY prominent public figure...Tiger "should" present his "opinions" in a non-offensive manner...but....he just doesn't do that.

People....that's just.......Tiger.

And....for the record.....what his comments tell me is that.....Tiger Woods just doesn't know beans about hockey! :) So....he took the easy way out! (Probably doesn't know much about NASCAR either......probably couldn't tell you what Prelude To a Dream is!) :)