PDA

View Full Version : Joakim Noah arrested on drug possession charges

Moose
05-25-2008, 06:01 PM
CHICAGO Bulls forward Joakim Noah, son of former French Open tennis champion Yannick Noah, has been charged with possession of marijuana.

Noah was also charged with having an open container of alcohol.

Gainesville police spokesman Sgt Rick Roberts says Noah was arrested around 1.50am on Sunday after an officer spotted him on a sidewalk holding a plastic cup containing an amber drink, a violation of city law.

During a search at the station, officers found marijuana in his pocket.

Noah, a graduate of the University of Florida in Gainesville, was released after signing a notice to appear before a judge - standard procedure for such offences.

He could face up to six months in jail and a $US500 ($A523) fine for the marijuana charge.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23758006-11088,00.html

Noah led the University of Florida to consecutive US college championships before being picked ninth by the Bulls in last year's NBA draft.

Moose
05-25-2008, 06:03 PM
I was looking for the link for an article about Yannick that appeared in the NY Times this morning, and came across this when I Googled Yannick's name.

Joakim is having a real difficult time adjusting to post-Flrida life. All kinds of problems his first NBA season with teammates, and learning how to play at th pro level. And now this.

Kirkus
05-25-2008, 06:52 PM
CHICAGO Bulls forward Joakim Noah, son of former French Open tennis champion Yannick Noah, has been charged with possession of marijuana.

Noah was also charged with having an open container of alcohol.

Gainesville police spokesman Sgt Rick Roberts says Noah was arrested around 1.50am on Sunday after an officer spotted him on a sidewalk holding a plastic cup containing an amber drink, a violation of city law.

During a search at the station, officers found marijuana in his pocket.

Noah, a graduate of the University of Florida in Gainesville, was released after signing a notice to appear before a judge - standard procedure for such offences.

He could face up to six months in jail and a $US500 ($A523) fine for the marijuana charge.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23758006-11088,00.html

Noah led the University of Florida to consecutive US college championships before being picked ninth by the Bulls in last year's NBA draft.

It's a city violation to be spotted on the sidewalk holding a plastic cup containing an amber drink?

Moose
05-25-2008, 06:56 PM
It's a city violation to be spotted on the sidewalk holding a plastic cup containing an amber drink?

Open container laws probably, Kirkus. I know here in PA, it is against the law to have an open container of alcohol in public. It was mind blowing the first time I went to New Orleans, and bought a daquiri at one of those walk up stands.

Jack
05-25-2008, 06:57 PM

When on street corners, I'm always careful to drink my Mountain Dew out of a paper bag.
:drunk2:

Pierre1
05-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Dew bag?

Moose
05-25-2008, 07:03 PM
Dew bag?

Pluralize it and we are entering Dumpster territory.

Ti-Amie
05-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Isn't Florida one of the top party schools in the country? Reading this really makes me sad.

As for open container laws I can understand if he was downing a liter of an amber liquid on the corner and it wasn't in a brown bag. A cup? In Chicago? I find that amazing.

Moose
05-25-2008, 07:08 PM
Isn't Florida one of the top party schools in the country? Reading this really makes me sad.

As for open container laws I can understand if he was downing a liter of an amber liquid on the corner and it wasn't in a brown bag. A cup? In Chicago? I find that amazing.

He was in Florida, not Chicago, Ti. And given that he brought a couple of championships to Florida, my guess is maybe he was up to a little bit more than just walking around in public with an amber liquid in a cup.

Ti-Amie
05-25-2008, 07:19 PM
He was in Florida, not Chicago, Ti. And given that he brought a couple of championships to Florida, my guess is maybe he was up to a little bit more than just walking around in public with an amber liquid in a cup.

Reading is fundamental. And yes, I agree.

oohsalmon
05-25-2008, 08:00 PM
I find Joakim Noah incredibly scary looking, so it's hard for me to have sympathy for him. :)

Charlie02123
05-25-2008, 08:43 PM

Marijuana AND alcohol!? Well he's going straight to hell. I hope they give him the chair. :rolleyes:

JTContinental
05-25-2008, 08:55 PM
Marijuana AND alcohol!? Well he's going straight to hell. I hope they give him the chair. :rolleyes:

LOL, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Sebastien
05-26-2008, 04:16 PM

I was in the L.A. area at some pizza joint and I walked outside with about half a cup of beer. We were in a hurry and I was just downing it on the way back to the car. I wasn't even close to drunk, just having some beer and pizza. A couple of blocks from the restaurant, a flippin cop ticketed me! It does happen. They're highly trained professionals, experts in spotting evil amber liquids.

OlderfanCA
05-26-2008, 06:30 PM

I was thinking the same thing. In Denver, he would have gotten a ticket (it is decriminalized there). But I'm a Libertarian, so what do I know.

Moose
05-26-2008, 06:38 PM
I am still absolutely convinced that there is more to this whole story. No way does a Florida cop arrest a member of 2 National Championship Gator teams for having a glass with an amber liquid, then pat him down and find some pot, and the story goes national. There was probably a point where this story went from "throw the beverage away" to "you're under arrest", and I almost guarantee you that somewhere in between those two quotes the words "but I'm Joakim Noah" were uttered.

OlderfanCA
05-26-2008, 07:48 PM
I am still absolutely convinced that there is more to this whole story. No way does a Florida cop arrest a member of 2 National Championship Gator teams for having a glass with an amber liquid, then pat him down and find some pot, and the story goes national. There was probably a point where this story went from "throw the beverage away" to "you're under arrest", and I almost guarantee you that somewhere in between those two quotes the words "but I'm Joakim Noah" were uttered.

Not a big fan of Florida law enforcement and doubly unimpressed with their penal laws.

Kirkus
05-26-2008, 07:52 PM
I was thinking the same thing. In Denver, he would have gotten a ticket (it is decriminalized there). But I'm a Libertarian, so what do I know.

I think it's just ridiculous.

I'd like to see marijuana legalized, taxed to the hilt, and the money spent on rehabilitation for those who need help with addiction to harder drugs.

ptmcmahon
05-26-2008, 09:34 PM
I had him on my fantasy basketball team :)

Charlie02123
05-26-2008, 10:00 PM
I had him on my fantasy basketball team :)

Allez!

Charlie02123
05-26-2008, 10:02 PM
I think it's just ridiculous.

I'd like to see marijuana legalized, taxed to the hilt, and the money spent on rehabilitation for those who need help with addiction to harder drugs.

Over 500 economists have signed a letter to the president recommending the legalization of marijuana. It would earn the economy over 11 billion dollars a year in taxes and money saved in law enforcement.

Ti-Amie
05-27-2008, 07:15 AM
Noah doesn’t understand fuss about son

PARIS (AP)—Former French Open champion Yannick Noah doesn’t think his son Joakim’s arrest for possession of marijuana and having an open container of alcohol is a big deal.
Chicago Bulls (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/chi/;_ylt=AvzErrEKNCMpP3sK.bO0KPcgv7YF) forward Joakim Noah was arrested Sunday in Gainesville, Fla., after an officer spotted him on a sidewalk holding a plastic cup. During a search at the station, officers found marijuana in his pocket.
“I don’t understand all that fuss for just drinking a beer on the street,” Yannick Noah said Tuesday at the French Open.
The elder Noah won the title at Roland Garros in 1983. He created a sensation a few years before when he told a magazine writer he smoked marijuana.
Joakim Noah was released after signing a notice to appear before a judge— standard procedure for such offenses. He could face up to six months in jail and a $500 fine for the marijuana charge.

“I talk to him every day on the phone,” said Yannick Noah, who was at Roland Garros on Tuesday for the dedication of a walkway named after him. “He’ll soon come over to France to see me.”
Joakim Noah led Florida to consecutive NCAA titles before being picked ninth by the Bulls in the NBA draft last year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=AkN0coc7XlINpY.wWEnGc5Ygv7YF?slug=ap-noah-sonsarrest&prov=ap&type=lgns&print=1

Pierre1
05-27-2008, 07:33 AM
Noah doesn’t understand fuss about son

I'm with his dad, unless as Moose said, there is something more. Was he wearing clothing?

oohsalmon
05-27-2008, 07:36 AM
Joakim Noah getting arrested is obviously going to cause a fuss.

Even if we don't like the law, it's still a law...

missinandre
05-27-2008, 08:09 PM
What a waste of everything. I don't think a little bit of personal weed is any reason for a fuss. The "dark amber liquid" spoof would get thrown out in any court of law including Florida......any half way decent lawyer would see to that.

My dad was a cop for 32 years and believe me....cops pick and choose who they are going to arrest for these little things. It is so much time and work and PAPERWORK and records and court time that more often than not, falls on PERSONAL time....most cops don't bother with these kind of arrests unless...they really are looking for something else. So I'm inclined to agree with the poster who thinks there is more to this story then they are saying.....

That said.....young Noah needs a role model / mentor in his life right now to guide him through the beginning rough ropes of his pro career. It is too early for him to start turning the wrong way....It is sad to see all of these young people living the "wrong" way, making poor choices that ultimately leads to self destructive behavior (and "wrong" is only for a lack of better wording) so early in their pro careers....Hopefully, he gets his priorities straight....:(

nelslus
05-27-2008, 08:46 PM
I'm with his dad, unless as Moose said, there is something more. Was he wearing clothing?

I'm still OK with Daddy Noah being naked. Joakim naked= lock him up and throw away the key.