PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Boards Bracket Contest

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

dryrunguy
05-23-2008, 09:19 AM
Thanks to Ti-Amie for forwarding me the info on this. It looks like a really neat opportunity for our knowledgeable folks here at TAT to compete in a prediction/bracket contest at the four majors--both individually and as a team.

Here's the background info:

http://www.britishtennis.net/Competitions.html

To join the TAT group, just select TAT in the drop-down menu after you've filled out the bracket. Feel free to use your regular handle. It would be better, in this case, per the direction of staff from the britishtennis.net site, if you didn't include TAT at the beginning of your handle. (Sorry for those who already registered; this is an update. If you've already registered, don't worry. They'll edit it. But future registrants should avoid using "TAT" in their handle.)

Entries are due before the start of play Sunday.

Not only does this look like a lot of fun, but it's also a great opportunity to market TAT globally.

Good luck, everyone! Let's rock!

And thanks again to Ti-Amie for bringing us this opportunity! We love ya, Amie!

mrjiggyfly2
05-23-2008, 09:23 AM
I agree Dry and I will be happy to participate.

Charlie02123
05-23-2008, 10:09 AM
Love it! Let's kick some British ass!

Scotty
05-23-2008, 10:15 AM
Love this idea, Mr. Contest Director. Great job!

dryrunguy
05-23-2008, 10:26 AM
Good! There's initial interest!

Let's set the marker for 10 people. If we can get 10 posters to participate from TAT, we'll run with it. If we get even more, even better!

oploskoffie
05-23-2008, 10:28 AM
Dude... I just signed up already :o :lipsrsealed: (as TATOploskoffie for team TalkAboutTennis.com, of course)

dryrunguy
05-23-2008, 10:32 AM
Dude... I just signed up already :o :lipsrsealed: (as TATOploskoffie for team TalkAboutTennis.com, of course)

Well then... Who cares how many people we have... Let's run with it!!!! :cheesy:

The qualifiers will be placed in the draw tonight, their site says.

Woo hoo! Let's kick some Massive Tennis Board Butt! :fencing::bat::gun::boxing::tatrocks:

ptmcmahon
05-23-2008, 10:35 AM
Did you say we get uniforms? Woo hoo!

dryrunguy
05-23-2008, 10:36 AM

Yes. Men get the TAT Thong. Women get the TAT sports bra.

oploskoffie
05-23-2008, 10:37 AM

Yes, and pigtails.

Eh, wrong topic. :o

beaujarkko
05-23-2008, 11:42 AM
I'm in. The site looked a mite complicated when I looked earlier, but I'll see if I can't figure it out.

dryrunguy
05-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Bump!

GVGirl
05-23-2008, 12:17 PM
I'm in! TATGVGirl It's cool that our web site was already listed! TAT is a media player whoo hoo!

dryrunguy
05-23-2008, 12:18 PM
I'm in! TATGVGirl It's cool that our web site was already listed! TAT is a media player whoo hoo!

We're weren't earlier. I guess we're listed now because people have registered! That makes it easier!

Incidentally, am I the only one who's afraid of bringing down the curve for the team? :(

--cj--
05-23-2008, 12:26 PM
I'm in. Go Team TAT!

Moose
05-23-2008, 12:31 PM
I'm in...TATMoose. And yes, on the one drop down screen where you are asked for your team, there appears TA - for "Talk About Tennis!".

GVGirl
05-23-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm in...TATMoose. And yes, on the one drop down screen where you are asked for your team, there appears TA - for "Talk About Tennis!".

Whoo hoo.:) Let's kick some butt, TAT Team!

Charlie02123
05-23-2008, 12:38 PM
We're weren't earlier. I guess we're listed now because people have registered! That makes it easier!

Incidentally, am I the only one who's afraid of bringing down the curve for the team? :(

Yes.

dryrunguy
05-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Yes.

Trollop alert!

I thought so... You only say that because I have the lowest cumulative score in Racquet Bracket history. Go ahead. Kick me while I'm down. :p

Charlie02123
05-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Trollop alert!

I thought so... You only say that because I have the lowest cumulative score in Racquet Bracket history. Go ahead. Kick me while I'm down. :p

Who me?

:sweetheart:

Tscott415
05-23-2008, 12:51 PM
I am very very nervous about my picks...but we are not gonna win without some risks...

beaujarkko
05-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Our website wasn't listed half an hour ago when I signed up, I'm sure of it. Hopefully I'm in the group.

dryrunguy
05-23-2008, 12:52 PM
I am very very nervous about my picks...but we are not gonna win without some risks...

What possessed you to pick James Blake to win?

oploskoffie
05-23-2008, 12:58 PM
What possessed you to pick James Blake to win?

Could you repeat that for me, please? He did WHAT? :shocked::cheesy:

beaujarkko
05-23-2008, 12:59 PM
I really think that my Racquet Brackets in the past have been terrible and I apologize now for bringing the average down. My one hope is that I stay somewhere in the middle :)

Also, has anyone found a way to check who's in our subleague, like on the ATP fantasy site?

dryrunguy
05-23-2008, 01:00 PM

He said he was taking a risk, so I assumed...

morct
05-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Done. TATmorct. :)

suliso
05-23-2008, 01:22 PM
I will try to figure it out later when I get home :)

patrick
05-23-2008, 01:24 PM
TATpatrick has joined the team. We must have had a lot of people join 'cuz TalkAboutTennis.com is on their drag down menu :cheesy:

Tscott415
05-23-2008, 01:26 PM

:hyst: ...james blake winning RG.. just the thought makes me laugh...having Kolya lose to Nole is my big risk

steven
05-23-2008, 02:33 PM
Hi everyone :)

I'm Steven, one of the two people who run the Battle of the Boards. I saw a few entries coming in with TAT as a 'write-in' team, so I thought I'd come along and check you out! I also added you as an option ("TA: TalkAboutTennis.com") on the teams list when I updated the entry form to place qualifiers in the draw, as some of you have already noticed.

What this means is that there is no longer any need for you to write (TalkAboutTennis.com) after your name when you enter. It would also be easier for us if you don't all put TAT at the start of your nicknames. As you can see on the Australian Open results at http://www.britishtennis.net/pickem/2008ao.htm it'll be obvious on the results page which team you are from - your team code will be TA and I'll try to make the colour of that code similar to the maroon colour that's used on here.

Also, this forum will be linked to from your entry on the teams table, where you will be taking on the likes of RogerFederer.com, AndyRoddick.com, AndyMurray.Com, Novak-Djokovic.com, RichardGasquet.net plus a number of general forums similar to yourselves - a little bit of free 'advertising' for the smaller forums, if you like!

There will even be an alternative view of the results looking a bit like http://www.britishtennis.net/pickem/2008aoin.htm (again, that was for the AO) containing a separate table for each team, so that you can see at a glance see how you are doing among your friends here as well as overall.

If the person who started this thread could update the instructions in the first post accordingly, that will save us some work deleting bits of the names later, so I'd be very grateful. :)

The results usually start to appear soon after the end of day 1 (we still do it all by spreadsheets, and while admittedly they are rather complex and well-developed ones nowadays, a fair bit of work is still involved between entries closing and the first results appearing), but from day 2 onwards, there are usually frequent updates during the day, since we're as obsessed with knowing the latest results as some of the keenest entrants! :)

Just to recap, you can access the entry form via http://www.britishtennis.net/Competitions.html and the entries close at 09.00 GMT (5 am US Eastern) on Sunday. Good luck with your entries! :)

These contests are run by a couple of British tennis fans and started off with just 14 entrants over a year ago (we had no idea how it would grow!) and it's really nice when new teams join by word of mouth, so thanks very much to the person who mentioned it to those on here!

GVGirl
05-23-2008, 02:35 PM
Thank you Steven! Welcome to TAT. Thanks for inviting us to join in the bracket contest.:)

dryrunguy
05-23-2008, 02:40 PM
Hi everyone :)

I'm Steven, one of the two people who run the Battle of the Boards. I saw a few entries coming in with TAT as a 'write-in' team, so I thought I'd come alongand check you out. I also added you as an option ("TA: TalkAboutTennis.com") on the teams list when I updated the entry form to place qualifiers in the draw, as some of you have already noticed.

What this means is that there is no longer any need for you to write (TalkAboutTennis.com) after your name when you enter. It would also be easier for us if you don't all put TAT at the start of your nicknames - as you can see on tha Australian Open results at http://www.britishtennis.net/pickem/2008ao.htm it'll be obvious on the results page which team you are from - your team code will be TA and I'll try to make the colour of that code similar to the maroon colour that's used on here.

There will even be an alternative view of the results looking a bit like http://www.britishtennis.net/pickem/2008aoin.htm containing a separate table for each team, so that you can see at a glance see how you are doing among your friends here as well as overall.

If the person who started this thread could update the instructions in the first post accordingly, that will save us some work deleting bits of the names later, so I'd be very grateful. :)

The results usually start to appear soon after the end of day 1 (we still do it all by spreadsheets, and while admittedly they are rather complex and well-developed ones nowadays, a fair bit of work is still involved between entries closing and the first results appearing), but from day 2 onwards, there are usually frequent updates during the day, since we're as obsessed with knowing the latest results as some of the keenest entrants! :)

Just to recap, you can access the entry form via http://www.britishtennis.net/Competitions.html and the entries close at 09.00 GMT (5 am US Eastern) on Sunday. Good luck with your entries! :)

These contests are run by a couple of British tennis fans and started off with just 14 entrants over a year ago (we had no idea how it would grow!) and it's really nice when new teams join by word of mouth, so thanks very much to the person who mentioned it to those on here!

Thanks, steven! I see that someone already corrected the initial post, and I corrected another after that asking folks to use "TAT" at the beginning of their handles.

If there's anything else that we can do to make things easier for you and your colleagues, please feel free to let us know. Or, you can always feel free to shoot me a Private Message with any instructions.

I know how difficult it is to run these things and how the slightest detail and create headaches. So please, don't hesitate to let me know how I and our members can make life easier for you.

Furthermore, in the event you have any ideas regarding opportunities for future collaboration and cooperation, please feel free to contact myself or any other member of the TAT staff based on the kind of collaboration you seek. A list of staff and their areas of direction may be found at http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7872

Good luck, my friend! And on behalf of all of our members, thank you for your hard work and dedication on behalf of tennis fans worldwide.

Dry

steven
05-23-2008, 02:58 PM
Thanks, and don't worry, those long nicknames were the right thing to do at the start until we noticed you - they probably helped TAT to get added to the teams dropdown quicker than it otherwise might have been!

We'll edit the nicknames of the early entrants ourselves, but the more entrants who enter with their normal nicknames, the less editing we'll have to do. :)

dryrunguy
05-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Thanks, and don't worry, those long nicknames were the right thing to do at the start until we noticed you - they probably helped TAT to get added to the teams dropdown quicker than it otherwise might have been!

We'll edit the nicknames of the early entrants ourselves, but the more entrants who enter with their normal nicknames, the less editing we'll have to do. :)

We will do everything we can to cooperate. Thanks again, steven. And welcome to TAT, by the way. :)

--cj--
05-23-2008, 03:10 PM
does anyone else suspect that TATers would do better at a WTA competition?? or maybe that's just me. ;)

Moose
05-23-2008, 04:16 PM
does anyone else suspect that TATers would do better at a WTA competition?? or maybe that's just me. ;)

I think we would do better in the ATP, Cj. We as a board probably know the ladies better, but we're far too emotional about them. That's why I had Jelena Jankovic and Ana Ivanovic playing the final of all 4 Slams last year when I picked through the brackets.

When it comes to the ATP, I know Rafa always wins on clay. I know Roger always wins on grass, and I know Nole will be #1 at the end of the year ;)

Charlie02123
05-23-2008, 04:19 PM

I think we usually do better on the WTA side of Racket Bracket. Is this one only ATP? Ah well. I'll have to study up!

[s/]TAT[s] (aw damn. How do you do the strike through thing again? Sigh...) Charlie02123 will be entering soon!

Charlie02123
05-23-2008, 04:23 PM
I think we would do better in the ATP, Cj. We as a board probably know the ladies better, but we're far too emotional about them. That's why I had Jelena Jankovic and Ana Ivanovic playing the final of all 4 Slams last year when I picked through the brackets.

When it comes to the ATP, I know Rafa always wins on clay. I know Roger always wins on grass, and I know Nole will be #1 at the end of the year ;)

That emotions thing is dead on. I used to think everyone was so silly when I started the weekly predictions. Now... well, my scores speak for themselves. Go Nadia!

zephblabs
05-23-2008, 05:54 PM

I did not receive that memo, for I have roger defeating rafa. :) and tipsy reaching the semis. :)

Ti-Amie
05-23-2008, 06:47 PM
As mmmm8 said, you guys love your contests. Glad to see it worked out so well.:)

dryrunguy
05-23-2008, 06:47 PM
As mmmm8 said, you guys love your contests. Glad to see it worked out so well.:)

Thank YOU, Amie, for making this possible. :)

EDIT: In the confusion about the registration process, etc., my thank you note to Amie for forwarding this to me, which was at one point included in the introductory post at the end with instruction to include TAT in the handle, which was then deleted because they don't want TAT in the handles (I'm absolutely sure some of you must have seen it and can confirm), disappeared. My fault, I'm sure.

Anyway, this all is the result of Amie thinking of us. :) Isn't she a gem?

mrjiggyfly2
05-23-2008, 07:32 PM
Thanks Ti and Dry. I'm entered.

shtexas
05-23-2008, 07:42 PM
I'll go sign up.

Kirkus
05-23-2008, 07:42 PM
I think we usually do better on the WTA side of Racket Bracket. Is this one only ATP? Ah well. I'll have to study up!

[s/]TAT[s] (aw damn. How do you do the strike through thing again? Sigh...) Charlie02123 will be entering soon!

You have the tags backwards, Charlie. Or can just highlight the type you want to strike-through and click on the http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum/images/editor/strike.gif button.

Kirkus
05-23-2008, 07:44 PM
I don't have a clue how it works.

Can you win prizes? I need a new electric blanket.

JTContinental
05-23-2008, 07:45 PM
Why do I keep reading this as Battle of the Broads? I keep coming in here expecting to see Lily Tomlin vs. Elaine Strich or something.

aedra1119
05-23-2008, 07:45 PM
Are we able to change our picks after we submit/sign up?

mrjiggyfly2
05-23-2008, 07:47 PM
Are we able to change our picks after we submit/sign up?

I saw that you can change picks via e mail. They provide the address on the sign up sheet. I, of course, did not save it. :rolleyes:

aedra1119
05-23-2008, 07:50 PM
I saw that you can change picks via e mail. They provide the address on the sign up sheet. I, of course, did not save it. :rolleyes:

LOL. Good to know.

shtexas
05-23-2008, 07:54 PM
OK. I signed up and saw we are on the dropdown menu as a team.

But, I will fill out my draw tomorrow.

dryrunguy
05-23-2008, 08:06 PM
I'm in!

Kirkus, there are no prizes. It's about the pride of the team... The TAT Team. ;) Please join us!

ptmcmahon
05-23-2008, 08:54 PM
I'm in! Just men...right?

dryrunguy
05-23-2008, 08:55 PM

Yup!

Moose
05-23-2008, 08:58 PM
I'm in!

Kirkus, there are no prizes. It's about the pride of the team... The TAT Team. ;) Please join us!

It's easier to be proud of your team when you do so wrapped in a nice new electric blanket, Dry.

nelslus
05-23-2008, 09:22 PM
Here's the instructions info, in case anyone needs this:

Thank you for your entry for the BritishTennis.net 2008 Roland Garros pick 'em competition, which has been received successfully.

CHANGING YOUR ENTRY

If you need to change your entry because of players withdrawing between the draw and the start of the tournament, you can do it at any time before the first main draw match is due to start by filling in the entry form again, which will be very quick to do if you printed off your original picks. Please put NEW after your name if you do this so that we know it is supposed to replace a previous entry. Alternatively, if only one or two matches are affected and the changes do not have lots of effects on your picks for the later rounds, you can email your changes to this address (btpickem@hotmail.com).

Please note that if there are changes before the entry deadline and you do not send in a new entry or there are changes after the final entry deadline, it is the position of your ticks in the draw that count. e.g. if a seed pulls out before play starts and the next player in line to be seeded is moved into their place, your ticks won't follow that player, they will apply to the player who replaces him in his original part of the draw instead.

RESULTS

By the time day 2 of the main draw starts on Monday, the individual results table will have replaced this page and will then be updated frequently through the day from Monday onwards. However, probably the best page to bookmark is the britishtennis.net Competitions page (http://www.britishtennis.net/Competitions.html), which will have links to team and individual results pages, picks analyses, and so on.

Return to the britishtennis.net Competitions page (http://www.britishtennis.net/Competitions.html)

nelslus
05-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Nelslus and tenor777 are now proudly on the TAT team. :thumbsup:

Jack
05-23-2008, 09:50 PM
Why do I keep reading this as Battle of the Broads? I keep coming in here expecting to see Lily Tomlin vs. Elaine Strich or something.

God, Bea Arthur would *so* totally stomp both of these broads.

Kirkus
05-23-2008, 10:09 PM
I'm in!

(If anyone says, "Oh! I see! You won't play contests on TAT, but you'll play contests on other sites?!", I swear to God, I'll go to your profile page and stick my tongue out at you. :D )

nelslus
05-23-2008, 10:12 PM
I'm in!

(If anyone says, "Oh! I see! You won't play contests on TAT, but you'll play contests on other sites?!", I swear to God, I'll go to your profile page and stick my tongue out at you. :D )

PLEASE, no one dares say a thing. Even Bea Arthur is afraid of you for somehow being manlier than her. :gorgeous: (I'll leave that "I'm in" comment alone, for dissection from Dry Jack our more twisted TAT members.)

dryrunguy
05-23-2008, 10:16 PM
I'm in!

Oh! I see! You won't play contests on TAT, but you'll play contests on other sites?!

Traitor. :p

Kirkus
05-23-2008, 10:19 PM
PLEASE, no one dares say a thing. Even Bea Arthur is afraid of you for somehow being manlier than her. :gorgeous: (I'll leave that "I'm in" comment alone, for dissection from Dry Jack our more twisted TAT members.)

I feel like Bud Abbott to all you sick and twisted Lou Costellos.

Kirkus
05-23-2008, 10:20 PM
Oh! I see! You won't play contests on TAT, but you'll play contests on other sites?!

Traitor. :p

Pirate hooker. :flipoff:

Charlie02123
05-23-2008, 10:50 PM

Yup!

For a second there, I thought I was in the wrong thread.

steven
05-24-2008, 12:56 AM
Hi again

Just to explain, the no prizes / not being able to login and change your picks things are linked by the fact we're just fans doing this for fun with nothing to sell, etc. Maybe I'll get around to programming a system that will allow logins one day, but it won't be any time soon.

The no login thing means it's important that you use the print button to print your picks if you are able to. Emailing if you need to change your picks is fine, if the change involves just one or two matches in one or two rounds with no implications for later in the tournament.

However, if a high-ranked player pulled out and hundreds of entrants sent changes by email just before the deadline, it would be the middle of the second week before we were able to get the results service started. (a bit of an exaggeration there ;) but you get the idea!)

So, we much prefer changes due to unexpected player withdrawals between now and the main draw (or the sudden realisation that you went a bit Marat Safin when you did your picks ;)) to be made by filling in the entry form again. This makes it really important that you use the print button to print your picks before you send them if you can, because with your original picks in front of you, filling in the entry form again and making a couple of changes only takes 1-2 minutes - almost certainly less time than explaining the changes you want to make in an email. :)

I get the impression that you're going to be quite a big team :) ... the rest of us had better watch out! ;)

Charlie02123
05-24-2008, 01:24 AM
Just to explain, the no prizes / not being able to login and change your picks things are linked by the fact we're just fans doing this for fun with nothing to sell, etc.

:)

Awwwww! We understand. I don't think any of us are going to start lodging a bunch of complaints on your hotline.

oploskoffie
05-24-2008, 01:42 AM
I get the impression that you're going to be quite a big team :) ... the rest of us had better watch out! ;)

The truth is, steven, that anything less than global domination is simply not up for discussion.

(read: we'll be celebrating each point scored :o ;))

steven
05-24-2008, 04:34 AM
The truth is, steven, that anything less than global domination is simply not up for discussion.

(read: we'll be celebrating each point scored :o ;))

LOL that's what all the new teams say (the first bit, I mean) - I remember when we got Ken from Radio Tennis to enter, and he was bragging on his radio show about how he and his team of listeners were going to leave the rest for dust in last year's US Open pick 'em, it was brilliant fun!

Unfortunately, he hasn't been seen in a pick 'em again after the drubbing he took there. ;) (other teams are happy to fight for last place if they don't manage 1st or to come back and do better the next time LOL)

Having said that, some new teams have made very impressive debuts, and I get the feeling you might be one of them!

dryrunguy
05-24-2008, 04:51 AM
Jeez, Mr. Koffie... You make us sound like we all just graduated from the George Dumbya Bush Academy of Global Annihiliation!

Steven, we're actually quite a friendly bunch here at TAT... Competitive, sure. But very friendly. We promise that no one will get hurt... At least not until the U.S. Open. :gun:

luvs10s
05-24-2008, 06:46 AM
I'm in :)

Some of my picks are hit and miss but it's all good fun. ;)

Drop-shot
05-24-2008, 08:17 AM
I joined!
It's really fun.

Weakest 1/4 is Berdych's. I have Janko over Blake and Tomas over Janko. Then he loses to Djoko.

--cj--
05-24-2008, 08:36 AM
Did everyone make an edit based on the Tsonga injury?? I had to do some damage control since i had him going to the... well, let's just say i had to make some edits. :rolleyes:

mysterX
05-24-2008, 11:44 AM
I just posted my picks. I found about the Tsonga withdrawl from their site, in fact.

luvs10s
05-24-2008, 11:47 AM
I've just completely re-done mine.

Here's hoping there are no more changes - I've struggled with this enough ;) :cheesy:

shtexas
05-24-2008, 12:21 PM
I think I'm in. After I pushed to submit my entry, it went to the next page, but stayed blank so long I refreshed the page, and then it said it was submitted.

If it did, it did. If it didn't, it didn't.

steven
05-24-2008, 01:32 PM
UPDATE (being pasted into all boards with more than 5 entrants so far so apologies for the lack of formatting!)

Many thanks to those of you who have already entered. I am writing to confirm that the following changes to the draw have been made as a result of player withdrawals today:

Tsonga has been replaced by (LL) Luis Horna (PER), who will play Scoville Jenkins (USA) in R1
Fognini has been replaced by (LL) Josselin Ouanna (FRA), who will play Juan Martin del Potro (ARG) in R1
Kiefer has been replaced by (LL) Marc Lopez (ESP) who will play (26) Jarkko Nieminen (FIN) in R1

Anyone who started their entry after about 18.10 GMT today will have used an entry form with these changes already made.

IF YOU HAVE ALREADY ENTERED

Don't worry, it is definitely NOT essential to enter again - if you don't change your entry, you will simply score points if Horna wins any matches you predicted that Tsonga would win, and so on. None of the withdrawals so far are likely to affect many of you that much.

However, if you do want to make changes, please do a full new entry at http://www.britishtennis.net/Competitions.html if at all possible (this will only take a minute or two if you printed your original entry and can transfer the picks off that) and put NEW in after your name so that we know the entry is a replacement.

Although it says on the 'entry successful' page that minor changes can be made by email, it will take us a lot longer to start doing results if we are swamped with email changes, so we'd much rather you didn't do it that way unless you have no other option, e.g. if you weren't able to print your original entry and can't remember your other picks. If that was the case, we'll try to process any emailed changes. Changes by PM on this board will probably NOT get picked up, so please don't do it that way, whatever you do.

LATER CHANGES

If there are any even later changes between now and when play starts, I probably won't have time to come around the boards again, but if you notice any and want to make any further changes to your entry, please follow the advice above. Nobody will be able to make changes after play starts.

ENTRIES SO FAR

Entries per team up to about 19.00 GMT today, i.e. 14 hours before the deadline. Shown for all AO teams (even if no RG entries yet) and the four new teams for RG:

25 = 11% RF RogerFederer.com
25 = 11% AM AndyMurray.com
24 = 11% TA TalkAboutTennis.com (new team)
23 = 11% CC CentreCourtHavoc
19 = 9% IN Individuals (no team)
18 = 8% BT BritishTennis.net
15 = 7% TY Tennis4you.com
13 = 6% TN Tennisopolis.com
11 = 5% MT MensTennisForums
10 = 5% AR AndyRoddick.com
10 = 5% RG RichardGasquet.net
9 = 4% GR Rusedski.co.uk
6 = 3% JM JamieMurray.org (new team)
5 = 2% ND Novak-Djokovic.com (new team)
----------------------------------------------
3 = 1% SG Stevegtennis.com
1 = 0% TM Tennis.com (new team)
1 = 0% BZ BritishTennisZone
0 = 0% BB BBC boards ( 8 ) -100% 8
0 = 0% MK MarkKnowlesTennis ( 8 ) -100% 0
0 = 0% VB VamosBrigade.com ( 6 ) -100% 0
0 = 0% LT The LTA ( 1 ) -100% 0

Teams below the line haven't reached the 5-entrant threshold needed to take part in the teams competition yet, but there are still over 12 hours left to enter - entries at http://www.britishtennis.net/Competitions.html close at 09.00 GMT (10 am UK, 11.00 CET, 5 am US Eastern) on Sunday.

dryrunguy
05-24-2008, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the information, Steven. Sounds like you've got quite a task keeping track of everything!

I'm very pleased that TAT has such a large number of participants! And I'm betting there are still more coming. :)

ptmcmahon
05-24-2008, 01:46 PM
I think I only had Tsonga winning two matches, so I dunno if I'll resubmit or not. Still got 20 questions to do, that'll take me at least an hour ;)

Kirkus
05-24-2008, 01:52 PM
:overhead_clap: <----- Steven and his crew!!

Charlie02123
05-24-2008, 01:56 PM
25 = 11% RF RogerFederer.com
25 = 11% AM AndyMurray.com
24 = 11% TA TalkAboutTennis.com (new team)
23 = 11% CC CentreCourtHavoc
19 = 9% IN Individuals (no team)
18 = 8% BT BritishTennis.net
15 = 7% TY Tennis4you.com
13 = 6% TN Tennisopolis.com
11 = 5% MT MensTennisForums
10 = 5% AR AndyRoddick.com
10 = 5% RG RichardGasquet.net
9 = 4% GR Rusedski.co.uk
6 = 3% JM JamieMurray.org (new team)
5 = 2% ND Novak-Djokovic.com (new team)

Heck yeah! Let the games begin!

BTW, I haven't entered yet, so that'll add another one.

JTContinental
05-24-2008, 03:03 PM
All right, I've just entered my bracket.

wunderkind
05-24-2008, 03:54 PM
Entered my bracket for this as well. Have been doing the ATP Challenge Bracket for the Masters Series, and I either do well or screw up entirely. Hope the former is true this time, because I don't want to pull down the average board score...

aedra1119
05-24-2008, 04:17 PM
aedra1119 is in and ready to help TAT win. :cool:

Kirkus
05-24-2008, 06:14 PM
I'll apologize in advance.

I'm sorry that, after this, you'll all know why I don't play contests. :o

dryrunguy
05-24-2008, 06:16 PM

Get a dog. :thumbsup:

Charlie02123
05-24-2008, 06:16 PM

Did you predect Roddick will somehow win the thing? :mad:

GVGirl
05-24-2008, 06:21 PM
Get a dog. :thumbsup:

Speaking of dogs, is that your dog playing the SP again? I saw a TAT handle with his name.

dryrunguy
05-24-2008, 06:24 PM
Speaking of dogs, is that your dog playing the SP again? I saw a TAT handle with his name.

Nope. I believe that's one of members of an Aussie family, I believe? Shadow has never played the suicide pool. I love him to death, but he's not the smartest mutt in the world. I worry he'd drown in an instant.

Kirkus
05-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Did you predect Roddick will somehow win the thing? :mad:

Yes.

And I have David Archuleta making it through the quarters.

You got a problem with any of that? :p

dryrunguy
05-24-2008, 06:31 PM
Yes.

And I have David Archuleta making it through the quarters.

You got a problem with any of that? :p

Silly. You should have gone with David Hernandez. When he wins, he could do a lap dance on Bud Collins.

oohsalmon
05-24-2008, 06:52 PM
Silly. You should have gone with David Hernandez. When he wins, he could do a lap dance on Bud Collins.

Smart! Can't imagine any stains would show on those pants.

oohsalmon is in it to win it, bitches :).

kayce
05-24-2008, 07:32 PM
oh, this is a fun contest, i've been doing it for over a year now:)

Kirkus
05-24-2008, 07:36 PM
Smart! Can't imagine any stains would show on those pants.

oohsalmon is in it to win it, bitches :).

:hyst:

I've so wanted to say "bitches" but haven't had the cajones. I'm always afraid someone will be offended. That just killed.

nelslus
05-25-2008, 07:01 AM
.....In case you're all wondering about the person dragging down TAT's average so far in this flippin' contest......that would be nelslus. :(

steven
05-25-2008, 01:24 PM
Unfortunately, it's going to take me an hour or two more to get all the detailed updates and the list of everyone's picks online (*) but if you can't wait, there's a quick and dirty summary update at http://www.andymurray.com/forum/showthread.php?p=47655 - the 'real' one at http://www.britishtennis.net/Competitions.html (when it appears later tonight) will be a lot easier to read and will have things like a view of the table split by team, making it much easier to compare you and your team-mates.

Don't get too depressed when you see your team position after day 1 - you're in with the big boys now ;) so it takes time to adjust - like moving up from Challengers (contests on your own board) to ATP level, if you like. (yes, I'm just beeing silly/cheeky, couldn't resist after you told us how well you were going to do ;) which is all part of the fun of course! At least you're trouncing RogerFederer.com! ;)

(*) we've had more entries with errors in them this year than we got TOTAL entries for our RG pick 'em last year, so that's what's held us up - victims of our own success, you could say ;) - but I'm happy to say that TAT are the first team not to make any major errors (missing out picks, lots of double picks, not writing their name in, etc ...) in their first attempt at one of these contests. So thanks, all of you! :)

GVGirl
05-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Unfortunately, it's going to take me an hour or two more to get all the detailed updates and the list of everyone's picks online (*) but if you can't wait, there's a quick and dirty summary update at http://www.andymurray.com/forum/showthread.php?p=47655 - the 'real' one at http://www.britishtennis.net/Competitions.html (when it appears later tonight) will be a lot easier to read and will have things like a view of the table split by team, making it much easier to compare you and your team-mates.

Don't get too depressed when you see your team position after day 1 - you're in with the big boys now ;) so it takes time to adjust - like moving up from Challengers (contests on your own board) to ATP level, if you like. (yes, I'm just beeing silly/cheeky, couldn't resist after you told us how well you were going to do ;) which is all part of the fun of course! At least you're trouncing RogerFederer.com! ;)

(*) we've had more entries with errors in them this year than we got TOTAL entries for our RG pick 'em last year, so that's what's held us up - victims of our own success, you could say ;) - but I'm happy to say that TAT are the first team not to make any major errors (missing out picks, lots of double picks, not writing their name in, etc ...) in their first attempt at one of these contests. So thanks, all of you! :)

Thank you Steven, we know that contests are a lot of work!

mrjiggyfly2
05-25-2008, 01:26 PM
sounds good steven

GVGirl
05-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Hey Kirkus,

Right now you are tied for FIRST in the individual contest! :banana:

suliso
05-25-2008, 01:31 PM

You just wait it's still going to happen :cheesy:

But seriously I am quite familiar with racquet brackets (from TC) and usually everything is decided in the last 4 days... I was top 5 once after the first week and finished out of top 1000

mrjiggyfly2
05-25-2008, 01:34 PM
You just wait it's still going to happen :cheesy:

But seriously I am quite familiar with racquet brackets (from TC) and usually everything is decided in the last 4 days... I was top 5 once after the first week and finished out of top 1000

It'll be tough because we had at least one clown who picked Simon Greul to go two rounds. :nutso::wall::drunk1::laugh::woohoo::bowing::yikey ::slap:

steven
05-25-2008, 01:37 PM
It's not quite the same here, because the number of points per correct pick only goes up by 1 per round - we changed it at the start of this year precisely because the early rounds were becoming a bit irrelevant. You do still get very big moves in the last few days (which is good - keeps it exciting) but we think the balance of importance between rounds is better this way.

I'd missed that you had one of the three individual leaders by the way - that really is something to be proud of! :)
Anyway, I'm off to sort out the rest. We'll be updating frequently (i.e. intra-day as well as end of day) on http://www.britishtennis.net/competitions.html link from Monday onwards.

Drop-shot
05-25-2008, 01:40 PM
So? I'm tied for 132
;)

Martini4me
05-25-2008, 01:48 PM

Geez Kirkus, you're tied for first!! (yes, I know someone also posted that) No need to apologize for that. Now, as some of the other staff clowns with many medals beside their names .... (ahem, cough cough) ...

Kirkus
05-25-2008, 01:51 PM
It's not quite the same here, because the number of points per correct pick only goes up by 1 per round - we changed it at the start of this year precisely because the early rounds were becoming a bit irrelevant. You do still get very big moves in the last few days (which is good - keeps it exciting) but we think the balance of importance between rounds is better this way.

I'd missed that you had one of the three individual leaders by the way - that really is something to be proud of! :)
Anyway, I'm off to sort out the rest. We'll be updating frequently (i.e. intra-day as well as end of day) on http://www.britishtennis.net/competitions.html link from Monday onwards.

This is a lot of work, Steven. And your attention at updating the individual boards is definitely going the extra mile on your part! Thank you for your hard work. :)

mrjiggyfly2
05-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Geez Kirkus, you're tied for first!! (yes, I know someone also posted that) No need to apologize for that. Now, as some of the other staff clowns with many medals beside their names .... (ahem, cough cough) ...

Simon Greul rules!!!!!! he's gonna beat Blake next round :banana::banana:

GVGirl
05-25-2008, 02:00 PM
Simon Greul rules!!!!!! he's gonna beat Blake next round :banana::banana:

Jiggy,

You picked Greul?:confused:

Kirkus
05-25-2008, 02:01 PM

Tell me about it!

I'm sure it's because I don't have the spare time to play games like the rest of the staff.

*runs and hides*

shtexas
05-25-2008, 02:05 PM
I don't know, 67% correct isn't the end of the world. And many of us got at least 60%.

It's only round 1. Long as the important players are among the ones you get correct, you should be ok later on.

mrjiggyfly2
05-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Jiggy,

You picked Greul?:confused:

I'm in serious denial ;)

nelslus
05-25-2008, 02:56 PM
WELL- I guess there is some comfort to be had in that two players did worse than me. Not mentioning any Mr. Koffie Moose names, of course. Yep, apparently the likes of my man tenor777, TScott, GVGirl, lbk77, Patrick, Jessie, led14pa2, jj and beau joined me in managing to get a whopping 1 more point than Moose Mr. Koffie the TAT bottom (you can say THAT again) two. SO- looks like we'll have quite the contest to determine who can do the worst here.

In all seriousness- it is SO funny about beginner's luck with these contests. I co-won my very first TAT Pool- and contended in my first Racquet Bracket. Since then.....not so good.

I'd also like to give a big shout-out to steven. It is very considerate of you to give us these updates personally. Thanks much.

zephblabs
05-25-2008, 04:09 PM
I think my emotions got the best of me, I really expected Tipsy to pull through. I have him reaching the quarters. sigh.

and to steven, thanks! you're doing such a great job!

patrick
05-25-2008, 05:45 PM
Kirkus is the man with the plan with his pick of Lopez Jean.

Martini4me
05-25-2008, 07:13 PM
First off, thanks to Steven for organizing all this.

Second, I'm not sure how the results on Steven's site will be stored day by day, so I thought we should keep a record of our daily results. I don't know if it's proper to paste the table of first day's results in here, so I'll just say that after day one, we're in eleventh place out of 13 teams. Our score (not sure how that's calculated) is 9.94, and we have an average of 66.3 of the maximum points. It's nearly a three-way tie for ninth, as two other teams are at 66.3%, and they both have a score of 9.95

For reference, the first-place team is at 10.69 and 71.3%, while last place is 9.63 and 64.2%. The four through eleven teams are fairly closely spaced, the leaders and trailers have a bigger gap. But in any case, we're only 15 matches in out of 127 (and only 15 points out of 247, if I read correctly), so the standings at this point ae fairly irrelevant.

Also, with 36 participants, we're the thrid-largest "team" of the thirteen reported; only AndyMurray.com(42) and tennisopolis.com(39) have more players.

Kirkus
05-25-2008, 07:19 PM

:angel:

aedra1119
05-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Ditto what everyone has said. Thanks for all of your hard work, steven! :)

Charlie02123
05-25-2008, 08:07 PM

I picked him too! I have absolutely no idea how to check the scores I can't find them for the life of me.

Jay
05-25-2008, 08:11 PM
I picked him too! I have absolutely no idea how to check the scores I can't find them for the life of me.
same here :p

Drop-shot
05-25-2008, 08:17 PM

guys have you used these links?

http://www.britishtennis.net/Competitions.html

http://www.britishtennis.net/pickem/2008rgtm.htm?n=1 (team scores)

http://www.britishtennis.net/pickem/2008rg.htm?n=1 (individual scores)

steven
05-25-2008, 08:20 PM
I had posted a summary of the scores on the Andy Murray board (there was a link a couple of pages back) while I carried on sorting out the main results uploads. You can now find detailed team, individual and individual-by-team results plus lists of all your picks at http://www.britishtennis.net/Competitions.html and they will be updated frequently from now on - hope you enjoy it all! :)

Edit: Dropshot's on the ball and beat me to it! :-)

shtexas
05-25-2008, 08:22 PM

I picked Lopez Jaen in this battle too.

But, Kirkus picked him in the suicide pool. That takes more guts, IMO.

Charlie02123
05-25-2008, 08:30 PM

Ohhh. Definitely.

Kirkus
05-25-2008, 08:31 PM

:banana:

ptmcmahon
05-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Our score (not sure how that's calculated) is 9.94, and we have an average of 66.3 of the maximum points.

For today...1 point for each match right. Think round 2 is 2 points for a correct pick...it goes up by 1 each round....anyways so we're only 1 pick off the leaders so far...no problem!

ptmcmahon
05-25-2008, 10:33 PM
And congrats to Kirkus on being 14/15 so far!

Drop-shot
05-26-2008, 05:39 AM
It's funny how biased some predicted winners are according to the website from where they hail. RogerFer.com chose Fed overwhelmingly. The same with Nole's site.
We at TAT are a more diverse bunch:cheesy:

One person even chose BLAKE to win.
I swear that if that happens I'll stop watching tennis and devote myself to camel racing

steven
05-26-2008, 09:01 AM
Just thought I'd drop by to say that if you look at the teams table now after 30 matches, you might like the look of it a bit more than last night - you're still 3rd from one end of the table, but it's the opposite end! ;) (though get in quick, plenty could still change in the next few hours)

Kirkus was fleetingly out in the lead on his own (which takes some doing this early on when there are 340 entrants!) but has now been joined by 6 others on 25/30.

Gasquet and Mayer have pulled out today, so any picks for them switch to the LLs who replaced them, Giraldo (already lost in straights to Serra) and Korolev, who will play Santoro, respectively.

Btw the Feddies have nearly all gone for Fed to win, as Drop-shot said, but less than half of the Djokovic team have picked him to be the champion.

Charlie02123
05-26-2008, 09:46 AM
Thanks Steven! It's great to get such in depth updates from you! :)

Charlie02123
05-26-2008, 09:52 AM
TAT individual results!
Number correct out of 30 matches played.

Kirkus 25
oohsalmon 24
Suliso 23
22's: Madame, Martini4me, JTContinental, Charlie02123 (moi!), mmmm8, dryrunguy, Jack, Scotty, mrjiggyfly2
21's: mysterX, aedra1119, --cj--, shtexas, GVGirl
20's: wunderkind and BeauJarkko
19's: luvs10s, Drop-Shot, TennisAnyone74, patrick, morct, lbk77, jjnow, Moose
18's: Shrubflower, PTMcMahon, zephblabls, belslus, Tscott415, tenor777, led14pa2, Jessie181, Oploskoffie

Below 18: No body! :yahoo:

Great worker, TATers!

Jack
05-26-2008, 09:56 AM
TAT individual results!

Kirkus 25
oohsalmon 24
Suliso 23
22's: Madame, Martini4me, JTContinental, Charlie02123 (moi!), mmmm8, dryrunguy, Jack, Scotty, mrjiggyfly2
18's: Shrubflower, PTMcMahon, zephblabls, belslus, Tscott415, tenor777, led14pa2, Jessie181, Oploskoffie

Great worker, TATers!

Hee!

Charlie02123
05-26-2008, 10:03 AM
TAT individual results!

18's: belslus

Hee!

I was going to edit that once you pointed it out, but I think I'll leave it like that for a while. Kind of an improvement, don't you think? :cool:

patrick
05-26-2008, 10:16 AM
TAT individual results!

Kirkus 25
oohsalmon 24
Suliso 23

Great worker, TATers!

Who is Belslus?

Charlie02123
05-26-2008, 10:22 AM
Who is Belslus?

Belslus is the friendly, 600 pound cousin of Nelslus.

jjnow
05-26-2008, 10:22 AM
I think he'll be fine as long as it's not beslus.

Moose
05-26-2008, 10:24 AM

Post of the day, JJ!

nelslus
05-26-2008, 10:33 AM
Belslus is the friendly, 600 pound cousin of Nelslus.

While belslus is indeed the friendly, 600 pound cousin of nelslus- nelslus finds it interesting that "There’s a fragrance that’s here to stay, and they call it- Charlie!" neglects to mention that belslus is also the nelslus family member who will be greeting you all in hell. (And don't blame nelslus- nelslus' only responsibility it to take you all there on the hell bus.) :evil:

belslus
05-26-2008, 10:42 AM

IT'S BELSLUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

nelslus
05-26-2008, 10:44 AM

Oh, no. You all have awakened belslus.

May God have mercy on your souls......

:cheesy:

jjnow
05-26-2008, 10:44 AM

luvs10s
05-26-2008, 10:48 AM
:yikey::yikey::hyst:

Charlie02123
05-26-2008, 10:49 AM

I love TAT.

aedra1119
05-26-2008, 10:55 AM
Lord have mercy on us all. Belslus?! What have you all done! :eek:

Kirkus
05-26-2008, 11:10 AM
Oh good lord.

LOL.

Scotty
05-26-2008, 11:15 AM
run for the hills!

Kirkus
05-26-2008, 11:22 AM
Wow. Moose moved up 122 spots and GVGirl up 150!!! I hope you guys were wearing neck braces.

I feel sorry for Anita, she's the only one playing for Tennis.com. Maybe we should invite her over so she's not all alone. :(

Martini4me
05-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Oohhh. Just looked at the standings page on britishtennis.net, and there will be a team knockout competition starting with the second round. 16 teams will be seeded based on the standing after round 1. More fun!!

http://www.britishtennis.net/competitions.html

JTContinental
05-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Sweet. I'm tied for 36th, along with Ashley Harkleroad's Bitch.

Charlie02123
05-26-2008, 12:18 PM
Wow. Moose moved up 122 spots and GVGirl up 150!!! I hope you guys were wearing neck braces.

I feel sorry for Anita, she's the only one playing for Tennis.com. Maybe we should invite her over so she's not all alone. :(

Is there a way for us to send her a message? We could get a new tennis fan at TAT!

Charlie02123
05-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Oohhh. Just looked at the standings page on britishtennis.net, and there will be a team knockout competition starting with the second round. 16 teams will be seeded based on the standing after round 1. More fun!!

http://www.britishtennis.net/competitions.html

COOL! That looks very fun.

This game is getting cooler and cooler.

Charlie02123
05-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Sweet. I'm tied for 36th, along with Ashley Harkleroad's Bitch.

LOL. Me too. I went to check the scores to see who you were making a joke about. Turns out there's an actual person with the name. Interesting. :cheesy:

patrick
05-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Just saw where TAT is now 3rd after today's play, a move up of 8 spots.

Ti-Amie
05-26-2008, 12:37 PM
Now all we need is Loxy signing up.:o

Charlie02123
05-26-2008, 12:38 PM

Hopefully we can maintain that with tomorrow's picks. If so, we'll get a good draw for the knock out competition.

beaujarkko
05-26-2008, 12:41 PM

Yes, I'm very proud of us! I'm also glad to see that my "strategy" of staying in the middle of the pack is working very well :rolleyes:

GVGirl
05-26-2008, 01:35 PM
TAT is kicking butt and taking names!:yes: Go team!

Moose
05-26-2008, 07:09 PM
Hopefully we can maintain that with tomorrow's picks. If so, we'll get a good draw for the knock out competition.

And if our draw stinks, we'll just send Belslus over to pull a Tonya Harding on our competiton.

ptmcmahon
05-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Ouch...tied for last place on our team! But at least I have lots of company.

Some of the predicted winners don't come right to mind...Numpty?

I see Giraldo is Gasuqet's replacement (and now a predicted winner.) Serves whoever picked him right!

Kirkus
05-27-2008, 10:47 AM
We're in 2nd place!!!!

beaujarkko
05-27-2008, 10:49 AM
We're in 2nd place!!!!

Holy cow! No thanks to me... I've likely gone down in the rankings :D

--cj--
05-27-2008, 11:00 AM
Go us!

It's interesting how in the whole contest there are only a handful of people that didn't pick Nadal or Federer to win the whole thing. Most of them picked Djokovic. Seems like the earlier rounds are very important as the differences between our picks get less further into the event.

GVGirl
05-27-2008, 11:03 AM
We're in 2nd place!!!!

Go TAT go! :banana:

jjnow
05-27-2008, 11:05 AM
Federer's website appears to be by far the most diverse in terms of nationality. I feel sorry for the three people that have been publicly outed as Rafa pickers.

suliso
05-27-2008, 11:41 AM
Federer's website appears to be by far the most diverse in terms of nationality. I feel sorry for the three people that have been publicly outed as Rafa pickers.

MTF is pretty diverse too, but that's more obvious...

mmmm8
05-27-2008, 11:53 AM
We're in 2nd place!!!!

now we're 5th... Must be my Seppi pick

suliso
05-27-2008, 11:57 AM
now we're 5th... Must be my Seppi pick

and mine too...

I thought picking Wawrinka and Soderling would give me/us some advantage. I guess most folks were smart enough...

Kirkus
05-27-2008, 12:01 PM
And now I've dropped from 1st to 3rd... with Mr. Salmon. :mad: :p

beaujarkko
05-27-2008, 12:04 PM
I got Ancic and Serra which kept me (somewhat) afloat. I dropped the most spots of anyone on the team today. Sorry guys :( Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day :)

Moose
05-27-2008, 12:06 PM
and mine too...

I thought picking Wawrinka and Soderling would give me/us some advantage. I guess most folks were smart enough...

I thought Wawrinka was a no brainer over PEHK, Suliso. Only one of them got to the final of a clay event this season. And as much as I love Philipp,. I don't expect jack from him til the tour returns to hardcourts later this year.

mmmm8
05-27-2008, 12:07 PM
and mine too...

yup, I got the other toss-ups right, too. I think I have Cilic, too (he's one game away), so maybe that'll help.

--cj--
05-27-2008, 12:20 PM
The KO part sounds fun. If the seeds hold, i think we'll draw Tennisopolis in the the first round, which starts with Round 2. That site is a statisticians dream.

Drop-shot
05-27-2008, 12:34 PM
this chart is nice. It has everyone's picks and if they were right or wrong and how they translate in future rounds.

http://www.britishtennis.net/pickem/2008rge2.htm?n=1

suliso
05-27-2008, 12:39 PM
this chart is nice. It has everyone's picks and if they were right or wrong and how the translate in future rounds.

Only 3 of us (me, 4m8 and aedra) picked Soderling over Monaco :lipsrsealed:

jjnow
05-27-2008, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the link, Drop-shot. That's pretty cool. Although scrolling left to right really hurt my eyes.

steven
05-27-2008, 12:45 PM
Bad luck today, judging by which match you dropped after, you must have had people more going for Seppi over Ancic than most of the other boards. Still top 5 though. :)

By the way, when working out where teams will be seeded in the KO comp, you can't just base it on where teams are in the main table, you have to factor n the three composite teams shown underneath, so at the moment you'd be facing Rusedski.co.uk in R1 of the team KO comp. No doubt that will have changed by the time R1 of RG finally ends though, if it ever does!

mmmm8
05-27-2008, 12:47 PM
this chart is nice. It has everyone's picks and if they were right or wrong and how the translate in future rounds.

That's neat. What I learned from it, though, is that our board's unhealthy trust in Janko Tipsarevic is eventually going to bring us down. Not that I'm pointing any fingers :lipsrsealed:

jjnow
05-27-2008, 12:50 PM
That's neat. What I learned from it, though, is that our board's unhealthy trust in Janko Tipsarevic is eventually going to bring us down. Not that I'm pointing any fingers :lipsrsealed:
I don't even like him and I bought the hype.

On the bright side, he's the only R16 I've lost so far.

Sometimes our tiny obsessions help, such as putting faith in Tamira at Wimbledon last year.

Charlie02123
05-27-2008, 12:59 PM
Bad luck today, judging by which match you dropped after, you must have had people more going for Seppi over Ancic than most of the other boards. Still top 5 though. :)

By the way, when working out where teams will be seeded in the KO comp, you can't just base it on where teams are in the main table, you have to factor n the three composite teams shown underneath, so at the moment you'd be facing Rusedski.co.uk in R1 of the team KO comp. No doubt that will have changed by the time R1 of RG finally ends though, if it ever does!

Thanks for the updates steven!

zephblabs
05-27-2008, 01:01 PM

Lol. I'm sorry guys. :) I have him reaching the quarters. That quarter of the draw really screwed me up. I have baghdatis reaching 4th round (why do i trust him?). Not to mention that I also expected Gasquet to get to the 4th round and I believed that Monaco would deliver until the 4th round as well.

Looking at it, ten of us expected Tipsy to get to the quarters. :) Hee. :) And no one is throwing him into the lake, wonder why? ;)

Charlie02123
05-27-2008, 01:01 PM

Exactly. We did better than average in picking Bolelli over Baghdatis, though! We only had a few people pick him to make the quarters. A bunch of people in other teams did.

Charlie02123
05-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Lol. I'm sorry guys. :) I have him reaching the quarters. That quarter of the draw really screwed me up. I have baghdatis reaching 4th round (why do i trust him?). Not to mention that I also expected Gasquet to get to the 4th round and I believed that Monaco would deliver until the 4th round as well.

It'll be okay. I mean, the staff will of course have to ban you, but I'm sure you'll make friends on the ESPN boards. Good luck!

:p

GVGirl
05-27-2008, 01:06 PM

Looking at it, ten of us expected Tipsy to get to the quarters. :) Hee. :) And no one is throwing him into the lake, wonder why? ;)

I'm guilty too. I can't trust Tipsy any more.:mad: I also picked Monaco and Seppi.:(

zephblabs
05-27-2008, 01:08 PM
It'll be okay. I mean, the staff will of course have to ban you, but I'm sure you'll make friends on the ESPN boards. Good luck!

are you sure they will accept me after you guys have corrupted me? although be thankful that I wasn't having a full blown delusion and have picked gasquet because he wears red shoes. :)

Charlie02123
05-27-2008, 01:09 PM
I only had Tipsarevic making the 3rd round (I put Berdych in the quarters for that section). I picked super Mario over Seppi, but I did have Monaco making the 4th round.

suliso
05-27-2008, 01:15 PM
So I guess I am the least guilty here... :cheesy:

I had Tipsy in the 4th round and Seppi in the 3rd, but one and done for Monaco and Gasquet...

GVGirl
05-27-2008, 01:17 PM

I had Tipsy in the 4th round and Seppi in the 3rd, but one and done for Monaco and Gasquet...

Kirkus would be the least guilty. He's in first place for our team.;)

Charlie02123
05-27-2008, 01:21 PM
nevermind

zephblabs
05-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Kirkus would be the least guilty. He's in first place for our team.;)

was he the only one to not pick tipsy to win his 1st round?

Charlie02123
05-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Kirkus would be the least guilty.

Probably the first time you heard that, eh Kirk!? ;)

mmmm8
05-27-2008, 01:23 PM

Our picks are very similar except the quarters... Wish I killed of Gasquet, Moya, and Canas earlier, though

beaujarkko
05-27-2008, 01:23 PM

I had zero and done for Gasquet :lipsrsealed:

Kirkus
05-27-2008, 01:26 PM
Probably the first time you heard that, eh Kirk!? ;)

In all honesty?

YES!!

suliso
05-27-2008, 01:26 PM
I had zero and done for Gasquet :lipsrsealed:

How is that possible? I had him playing once and losing straight away :cheesy:

oohsalmon
05-27-2008, 01:30 PM
How thrilled am I that I am not the only TATeur who had Odesnik making the third round?!?!

Much props, Moose! :cheesy:

beaujarkko
05-27-2008, 01:37 PM
How is that possible? I had him playing once and losing straight away :cheesy:

I knew he'd withdraw :rolleyes: Ergo, I was picking whoever wasn't him.

Madame
05-27-2008, 01:42 PM
I knew he'd withdraw :rolleyes: Ergo, I was picking whoever wasn't him.

wish I knew too, or at least wish I would have listened to the little voice (don't pick him, he's a mess ! come on) ...

But I didn' listen !!!

:(:mad:

beaujarkko
05-27-2008, 01:45 PM
I was just looking at my amazingly awful picks and I can't believe I accidentally picked random other Lopez over Jarkko. I don't know how that happened. Considering in my head, Jarkko was going to go down 1, 2, and 2 to Nadal in the third round. I'm really sad :(

Moose
05-27-2008, 01:49 PM
How thrilled am I that I am not the only TATeur who had Odesnik making the third round?!?!

Much props, Moose! :cheesy:

That's a credit to your talking him up as wildly as you did, Salmon. I never got to see him at PLO@IW, because my eyes were otherwise occupied.

ptmcmahon
05-27-2008, 02:24 PM
We're down to 5th.

At least I'm not DEAD last on our team :(

nelslus
05-27-2008, 03:18 PM
We're down to 5th.

At least I'm not DEAD last on our team :(

OMG. Jessie and nelslus are apparently so far the TAT ignorant sluts for this competition. :gorgeous:

aedra1119
05-27-2008, 03:29 PM
I've finally taken the time to really look at the site. It's very awesome! I love all the different comparison tables.

Charlie02123
05-27-2008, 03:30 PM
OMG. Jessie and nelslus are apparently so far the TAT ignorant sluts for this competition. :gorgeous:

So far?

For this competition?

steven
05-28-2008, 10:29 AM
R1 has finally finished with Centre Court on top in the teams league and Tush from Tennisopolis on top individually with 52/64, slightly less than the 54 that the R1 winners scored at the last AO & USO and 4 off the record of 56/64 for Wimby last year.

The pages linked to from http://www.britishtennis.net/Competitions.html are all up to date to at least that stage. I'll continue to update R2 results for as long as play continues today.

Everyone has already lost at least 5 R2 winner picks - see the WP SLR column on the main table for how many you had left at the end of R1.

We also now know the draw for the extra team comp we run for slams, the Team KO. Seedings and the draw are based on RG R1 points, these Team KO L16 matches to be decided by RG R2 points.

(1) Centre Court Forum
(16) RogerFederer.com

(9) BritishTennis.net
(8) AndyRoddick.com

(5) Tennis4you.com
(12) JamieMurray.org

(13) Assorted Individuals
(4) RichardGasquet.net

(3) The Robots
(14) Tennisopolis.com

(11) Rusedski.co.uk
(6) TalkAboutTennis

(7) AndyMurray.com
(10) Other Boards

(15) Novak-Djokovic.com
(2) MensTennisForums

You can get to the KO scores via the BT competitions page, the teams league table or directly at http://www.britishtennis.net/pickem/2008rgko.htm?n=1 - N.B. the teams league still carries on, the KO is a separate competition that gives teams two chances of winning something - at the AO, MTF won the league and britishtennis.net the KO.

A bit of luck is involved in the KO, depending on whether teams you draw just happen to be about to have unusually good or bad rounds. Clearly the matches should go with seeding, because those doing well in R1 are likely to have more R2 winner picks left, but things change round by round and I'll be very surprised if the top 8 seeds all make it to the winner QFs!

Notice that the Robots are seeded 3 - they had a storming time today, despite being handicapped by having Amélie (who always picks French players to win, otherwise by rankings) on their team. Billy the Bookie and Average Joe have done well throughout R1 and the rankings bots were among the top scorers in the R1 matches played today.

beaujarkko
05-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Thanks Steven, I saw this and was really excited about it!

beaujarkko
05-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Hey all, so far we have the best R2 score! (and we're back up to 3rd)

Kirkus
05-28-2008, 11:05 AM
Oh. My. God.

I dropped 104 spots!!! :shocked:

OR

Why I don't play contests.

beaujarkko
05-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Oh. My. God.

OR

:( If it makes you feel any better, I'm still somewhere in the mid- to low 200s

Kirkus
05-28-2008, 11:15 AM
:( If it makes you feel any better, I'm still somewhere in the mid- to low 200s

:overhead_clap:

That does make me feel better!! Thanks!!

:D

beaujarkko
05-28-2008, 11:19 AM

You're very welcome.

Berdych losing just keeps bleeding the wound :p

Charlie02123
05-28-2008, 11:19 AM
Oh. My. God.

OR

Awwww. You just need more practice! You can't expect to be the Serena of contests.

LOL!

--cj--
05-28-2008, 11:21 AM
Oh. My. God.

OR

Wow, Kirkus, you dropped all the way down to... my level. ;)

Charlie02123
05-28-2008, 11:23 AM
(11) Rusedski.co.uk
(6) TalkAboutTennis

Get ready to feel the pain, Rusedski.co.uk!!!! You are going down!

In just R2 picks, we are currently leading them with an average of 6.89 correct to an average of 6.

beaujarkko
05-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Get ready to feel the pain, Rusedski.co.uk!!!! You are going down!

In just R2 picks, we are currently leading them with an average of 6.89 correct to an average of 6.

If you look, our 6.89 is the highest of ALL teams :D

oohsalmon
05-28-2008, 11:27 AM
I am just SO sick of carrying you people :p.

Charlie02123
05-28-2008, 11:28 AM

:lipsrsealed:

beaujarkko
05-28-2008, 11:29 AM

That's fine. You can be sick. I'll be in the 200's :D

luvs10s
05-28-2008, 11:54 AM
OMG! I've gone up 156 places. :cheesy:

Drop-shot
05-28-2008, 12:16 PM
I'm 205 ... after rising 36 spots, haha
So, we're seeded 6th, that makes us Chaks or Nalby...:cheesy:

Martini4me
05-28-2008, 12:27 PM
I just checked out the multi-colour, individual picks page again, and realized that it actually showed all your picks round-by-round. I'm afraid that I'm 3-11 so far in the second round. Sorry to be pulling you all down.

mmmm8
05-28-2008, 12:32 PM

actually, suliso is carrying us all.

I don't quite understand it, the guy ranked below him got the same total # of correct picks and more in R2 :confused:

beaujarkko
05-28-2008, 12:54 PM
I just noticed that when we make the next round of the knockout competition, our opponent is going to be "the robots" on the site who have by far the highest percentage. We'll have to start praying for our upsets to come through!

Drop-shot
05-28-2008, 01:00 PM
I just noticed that when we make the next round of the knockout competition, our opponent is going to be "the robots" on the site who have by far the highest percentage. We'll have to start praying for our upsets to come through!

Don't the seeds change round by round according to our performance?

--cj--
05-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Winner of match 5 (Robots, likely) to play winner of match 6 (TAT, hopefully).

steven
05-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Don't be too hard on my team in the KO competition, now! ;) I'm certainly carrying them at the moment ...

To clarify a couple of the points raised on here:

1) You get 2 points per correct pick in R2, but if total points are tied, the tiebreak is the higher R1 score (which at the moment is the same as the most correct individual picks), that's why suliso is ahead of Deathless Mortal who has the same score (but one less correct pick - mmmm8 may have mixed up the columns, easy to do at this stage when thenumbers in each one are so similar!) instead of just being in equal position with him.

2) The knockout seedings and draw are now set based on the R1 results, though the teams league continues on as a separate competition. If you look at the team KO page, it works like a normal tennis bracket, expect that like at the Kooyong Classic held before the AO, losers stay in and play other losers such that in the end all the teams are ordered from 1st to 16th.

Your team results in the league and the KO both affect your standings in the year-round rankings, whereas when we run AMS pick 'ems, there is only a teams league and no KO, because the AMS tournaments tend to be too short to make it worth it.

Finally, well done to luvs10s from here for being equal top scorer today with 34/45 and equal highest rise, up 156 places from 199= to 43= :) and to all of you for leading the R2 scores and being back in the top three overall. Hope you have a bad day tomorrow though, or we'll never catch you up in the KO match! :(

mmmm8
05-28-2008, 01:23 PM
Thanks, Steven!

The personal attention and the really detailed cool stats make for one great contest!

Wishing you a bad day tomorrow, as well ;)

beaujarkko
05-28-2008, 01:36 PM
Thanks, Steven!

The personal attention and the really detailed cool stats make for one great contest!

Wishing you a bad day tomorrow, as well ;)

Ditto. I really do love the interaction we get with you. (Not to mention it makes everything seems a lot less scary and jumbled :))

patrick
05-28-2008, 02:17 PM
"1) You get 2 points per correct pick in R2, but if total points are tied, the tiebreak is the higher R1 score (which at the moment is the same as the most correct individual picks), that's why suliso is ahead of Deathless Mortal who has the same score (but one less correct pick - mmmm8 may have mixed up the columns, easy to do at this stage when thenumbers in each one are so similar!) instead of just being in equal position with him."

Good job, Suliso for getting TAT the tiebreaker edge :thumbsup:

Martini4me
05-28-2008, 04:32 PM
I forgot to do a daily update yesterday, but after day 4 (Wednesday), TAT is third with a T-score of 52.67. Centre Court leads with 53.17, with mtf second at 53.05, and four more teams not far behind us. Suliso, tied for 8th, is our top individual, and Scotty, mmm8 and oohsalmon are tied for 25th.

We were seeded 6th (after the first round) for the knockout competition, and currently lead rusedski.co.uk 8.78 (the highest second round score of any site at this point) to 8.17. But if we win this, our second round opponent is likely to be the robots, who have a sparkling 9.20 so far in the second round.

Charlie02123
05-28-2008, 04:35 PM
We were seeded 6th (after the first round) for the knockout competition, and currently lead rusedski.co.uk 8.78 (the highest second round score of any site at this point) to 8.17. But if we win this, our second round opponent is likely to be the robots, who have a sparkling 9.20 so far in the second round.

:confused:

suliso
05-28-2008, 04:46 PM
:confused:

We have the highest "human" score :)

Unless there are lot of upsets (or too many French left) robots are going to win it all. They have no bias...

Charlie02123
05-28-2008, 04:48 PM
We have the highest "human" score :)

Unless there are lot of upsets (or too many French left) robots are going to win it all. They have no bias...

LOL. That seems really Matrix.

suliso
05-28-2008, 04:49 PM
BTW I have an identical bracket at TC and right now I am T7 :D

Jay
05-28-2008, 06:21 PM
totally. :cry: I don't know what I was thinking when I filled out those brackets :cry:

So far?

For this competition?

:gasp: !!!!
How dare you.

ptmcmahon
05-28-2008, 11:50 PM
We're doing good so far...I'm bouncing back a little after a terrible round 1.

luvs10s
05-29-2008, 12:06 AM
Thanks steven for all the hard work (and the personal mention)
I found myself going to the picks page all the time because I couldn't remember who I chosen to win some of the matches - and then watching the scoreboards in anticipation. Great fun!

Loving this contest.

Go Team TAT. :cheesy:

Charlie02123
05-29-2008, 12:12 AM
:gasp: !!!!
How dare you.

Blame it on my finals. :rolleyes:

steven
05-29-2008, 09:11 AM
I usually only post these on the AM.com forum linked to from the results pages, but you'll see why this one is being posted here specially in a moment ...

I've just sent another full update over to http://www.britishtennis.net/competitions.html up to and including the Rafa and Ljubo wins.

It's incredibly tight at the top of the teams league, with TAT, up 2 to 1st, having just overtaken MTF by 0.02 points, with Centre Court, down 2 to 3rd, just 0.04 further back! Who's going to be leading by the end of the day, I wonder ..

It's also incredibly tight at the top of the individual table, with Tush (TN), up 2 to 1st, leading Tenez (CC), up 2 to 2nd, on tiebreak, who leads shotgun (MT), up 3 to 3=, and hebegeebee (IN), up 11 to 3=, also just on tiebreak!

So much for you lot having a bad day! ;) However, 0.02 points means your lead is the equivalent of a single R1 pick by a single player on the team going right rather than wrong, so with results coming in all the time, it may all have changed by the time you look at the table. Thought you'd like to know you were in 1st place at this point though!

beaujarkko
05-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Awesome, thanks Steven!

Good job all of you keeping not only TaT afloat, but leading the pack! :D

jjnow
05-29-2008, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the continuing updates, Steven!

mmmm8
05-29-2008, 09:29 AM
Thanks, Steven!

I see there's a traitor in our midst. Kayce! :mad::mad::mad:

--cj--
05-29-2008, 09:49 AM
i'm afraid to look. i don't think i'm doing so well today. and why can i not escape the trap of picking Safin to upset anyone??

suliso
05-29-2008, 09:57 AM
We have increased our lead :)

I am still the best individually from TAT, but down 2 places to #10.

luvs10s
05-29-2008, 09:59 AM
I've fluked my way to third in the TAT team. :cool:

I don't expect it to last :)

steven
05-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Ancic's win has dropped you from 1st to 4th in one fell swoop, since nearly all of you went for Seppi who lost to Mario in R1. Oops!

You're still well ahead of us in the KO match though. :mad:

trisco
05-29-2008, 10:24 AM
Whoooo-hoooooooo!!
I for one think Team CC has opened a can of whup-ass and is kicking all your little candy white asses! :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cool:

;) ;)

Charlie02123
05-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Ancic's win has dropped you from 1st to 4th in one fell swoop, since nearly all of you went for Seppi who lost to Mario in R1. Oops!

You're still well ahead of us in the KO match though. :mad:

Well I appreciate you telling us we were first for a little bit. I never would have known otherwise.

Gosh TAT! Way to not believe in Mario. I had almost no qualms about putting him into the third round.

:mad:

Charlie02123
05-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Whoooo-hoooooooo!!
I for one think Team CC has opened a can of whup-ass and is kicking all your little candy white asses! :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cool:

;) ;)

Oh my. Did you really join TAT just to trash talk? And say "candy asses!?"

I. AM.

Lovin' it! Despite your motives, welcome to TAT! We are a great haven for the insanely competitive, such as yourself.

By the way, how's being 210th overall working out for you? :p

Charlie02123
05-29-2008, 10:36 AM
:shocked:

I've moved into the top of TAT's rankings. I'm just barely ahead of Suliso, 17th overall to 21st overall.

Charlie02123
05-29-2008, 10:40 AM
By the way, not only is kayce not playing for us, he's leading the JamieMurray pack. :mad:

trisco
05-29-2008, 10:41 AM
Well I do suffer from vertigo so quite happy lurking around the botom and supporting the rest of ya! :D
I had to quickly get in and say that as I am not sure how much longer CC will be holding the Number 1 spot :o

Nice forum by the way :D
Thank you for the welcome

Oh my. Did you really join TAT just to trash talk? And say "candy asses!?"

I. AM.

Lovin' it! Despite your motives, welcome to TAT! We are a great haven for the insanely competitive, such as yourself.

By the way, how's being 210th overall working out for you? :p

Charlie02123
05-29-2008, 10:48 AM
Well I do suffer from vertigo so quite happy lurking around the botom and supporting the rest of ya! :D
I had to quickly get in and say that as I am not sure how much longer CC will be holding the Number 1 spot :o

Nice forum by the way :D
Thank you for the welcome

LOL! I feel the same way. I'm not used to doing well in these kinds of competitions (especially on the men's side), so I may have to take some deep breaths through a paper bag.

Thanks for the complement! Feel free to stick around and peek at some threads and other contests. There will be another batch of hugely entertaining prediction contests starting right after the French.

steven
05-29-2008, 11:01 AM
*whisper* Team CC (http://www.centrecourthavoc.com/) allow guest posts on their Battle of the Boards thread if anyone feels like a bit of banter the other way too. ;)