PDA

View Full Version : A tale of two cities

ponchi101
04-18-2008, 08:29 PM
Honest question: Does anybody remember another time in which a city (in this case, Boston) has dominated professional sports in the States so completely? The BoSox won the MLB, The Patriots (I know they play in Foxborough, but bear with me) had that amazing regular season and played only one lousy quarter all year (too bad it was the 4th at the super bowl), and although nobody is handing the NBA trophy to the Celtics yet, they are certainly favorites and had the best regular season record. I just can't recall any city ever doing something like that.
On the other hand, Miami. The Dolphins and Heat are, to put it mildly, abysmal, and it is not as if the Marlins last year made any difference.
Even hockey: the Bruins made the playoffs (and are still fighting) while the Panthers and Lightning... 'nough said.
Any city ever done something like that? NY, LA? Chicago?

Moose
04-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Honest question: Does anybody remember another time in which a city (in this case, Boston) has dominated professional sports in the States so completely? The BoSox won the MLB, The Patriots (I know they play in Foxborough, but bear with me) had that amazing regular season and played only one lousy quarter all year (too bad it was the 4th at the super bowl), and although nobody is handing the NBA trophy to the Celtics yet, they are certainly favorites and had the best regular season record. I just can't recall any city ever doing something like that.
On the other hand, Miami. The Dolphins and Heat are, to put it mildly, abysmal, and it is not as if the Marlins last year made any difference.
Even hockey: the Bruins made the playoffs (and are still fighting) while the Panthers and Lightning... 'nough said.

Gee...being from a city that hasn't won a championship in any sport since One Liberty Place was allowed to be built higher than Billy Penn, I wouldn't know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_Billy_Penn

bea26
04-18-2008, 08:38 PM
I don't have an answer to your questions as much as a smile.

:)

JTContinental
04-18-2008, 09:39 PM

LA? West Coast sports teams are irrelevant, because they don't even start to play until after 10 o'clock.

ponchi101
06-13-2009, 08:50 AM
I'm only reviving this thread because, although it is not a city, the state of Pennsylvania is now the dominant place. The Phillies won the MLB, the Steelers take the NFL and now the Penguins take the Stanley Cup.
This is weird.
Which state is next?

Moose
06-13-2009, 09:31 AM
I'm only reviving this thread because, although it is not a city, the state of Pennsylvania is now the dominant place. The Phillies won the MLB, the Steelers take the NFL and now the Penguins take the Stanley Cup.
This is weird.
Which state is next?

ssshhh, Ponchi. Can't we keep all the hardware another year?

beaujarkko
06-13-2009, 11:06 AM
Detroit hasn't been doing so bad for itself, lately... Four Stanley cups of the last 10 (and last night's disappointing loss in a bid for a fifth), Pistons won an NBA championship and were runner-up the next year, Tigers made it to the World Series for the first time in it feels like forever.

Of course, if you average it all out, our 0-16 Lions bring it all crashing down :rolleyes: