PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Mag's "Best Of The Open Era"

Moose
04-10-2008, 07:27 PM
featured in the April issue. I'll just cite the winners, there is more discussion, and runner ups listed on the website and in the new issue.

BEST SHOT: Sampras's serve.

CRUCIAL MATCH: 1990 USO Quarterfinal - Pete Sampras v. Ivan Lendl (Sampras's coronation marked the end of 8 consecutive years of Lendl getting to the final of the USO)

BIGGEST UPSET: Martina N's 1983 loss at the French to Kathy Horvath (the "1" in Martina's one loss that season).

BIGGEST RIVALRY: Navratilova v. Evert

OUTRAGEOUS MOMENT: Monica's stabbing

RECORD: Steffi's Golden Slam

BEST DRESSED: Serena Williams

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT: Marcello Rios

FEEL GOOD VICTORY: Novotna winning '98 Wimbledon over Tauziat.

http://www.teamwta.com/tennis-magazine-presents-the-best-of-the-past-40-years/

Jay
04-10-2008, 07:42 PM
featured in the April issue. I'll just cite the winners, there is more discussion, and runner ups listed on the website and in the new issue.

BEST SHOT: Sampras's serve.

CRUCIAL MATCH: 1990 USO Quarterfinal - Pete Sampras v. Ivan Lendl (Sampras's coronation marked the end of 8 consecutive years of Lendl getting to the final of the USO)

BIGGEST UPSET: Martina N's 1983 loss at the French to Kathy Horvath (the "1" in Martina's one loss that season).

BIGGEST RIVALRY: Navratilova v. Evert

OUTRAGEOUS MOMENT: Monica's stabbing

RECORD: Steffi's Golden Slam

BEST DRESSED: Serena Williams

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT: Marcello Rios

FEEL GOOD VICTORY: Novotna winning '98 Wimbledon over Tauziat.

http://www.teamwta.com/tennis-magazine-presents-the-best-of-the-past-40-years/

I'm gonna sound biased, but I think Venus has been the most consistently best dressed. Some of Serena's outfits have been a little too outrageous.

I agree with most of them, though :thumbsup:

Ti-Amie
04-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Biggest Disappointment Marcelo Rios. Man got injured. If he hadn't I wonder what the men's game would look like today.

Personality aside still one of the most beautiful games ever.

mmmm8
04-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Yeah, I'm sorry, but most famous outfits don't mean "best"

http://dwil.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/serenaw.jpg

She's had some hits. And she's had some misses. And there are photos of her off-court with all the special places in full view, which is pretty much against the concept of "dressed," and I don't mean the photo for Ms. Magazine

I liked the issue, though. There is a nice piece on Kournikova there, too

Moose
04-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Biggest Disappointment Marcelo Rios. Man got injured. If he hadn't I wonder what the men's game would look like today.

Personality aside still one of the most beautiful games ever.

True. I think its because he was a Slamless #1 more than anything Ti.

I would have given it to Coria over him. I think there was uniform agreement at one time that Coria was a future multiple French winner.

mmmm8
04-10-2008, 07:54 PM

I would have given it to Coria over him. I think there was uniform agreement at one time that Coria was a future multiple French winner.

Well, if we are going to talk injuries, Coria got hurt at a lot younger age than Rios, no? (I really don't know Rios' career).

There've gotta be people before the late 1990s who didn't reach their potential, though

suliso

His first and only GS final was a major disappointment. Wasn't injured in that one (or RG the same year)...

Ti-Amie

Agreed Moose. Roma 2005 was the end of his Grand Slam career. He never got over it.

Moose
04-10-2008, 07:55 PM

She's had some hits. And she's had some misses. And there are photos of her off-court with all the special places in full view, which is pretty much against the concept of "dressed," and I don't mean the photo for Ms. Magazine

That was the "Pink Ice" era, I believe. She had nicer outfits in that collection.

MY two personal faves were the Cameroon soccer outfit from the French, and the tie dye dress from the USO. The purple/black tie dyed tennis dress was my personal all time favorite outfit on a female player.

Jay
04-10-2008, 07:56 PM

I agree. That, the USO outfit, etc. etc. tons of misses. I guess it's more a matter of taste.:rolleyes: She's had some infamous outfits, but she certainly wouldn't be on my (or a lot of other people I know)'s best dressed list....not even in the top 5

mmmm8
04-10-2008, 07:58 PM
That was the "Pink Ice" era, I believe. She had nicer outfits in that collection.

MY two personal faves were the Cameroon soccer outfit from the French, and the tie dye dress from the USO. The purple/black tie dyed tennis dress was my personal all time favorite outfit on a female player.

I secretly enjoyed the pleather/jean USO outfit, but everyone knows Mr. Blackwell would flush her down the toilet just for that one.

The catsuit was deplorable on many levels.

jjnow
04-10-2008, 07:59 PM

The Puma fishnet green RG 2002 outfit with the Cameroon soccer socks was pure and fierce athleticism. She look amazing. My favorite too.

Moose
04-10-2008, 08:00 PM
I secretly enjoyed the pleather/jean USO outfit, but everyone knows Mr. Blackwell would flush her down the toilet just for that one.

The denim was great...too bad Agassi did it first.

The catsuit was just wrong. You gotta wonder if she was in on the joke. If she wasn't, shame on her.

JTContinental
04-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Couldn't they have picked a better feel good win? Maybe I'm alone here, but I was under the impression that only Novotna and Tauziat cared about who won the '98 Wimbledon.

Pretty much any other Grand Slam final would work. How about when Goran won Wimby?

Moose
04-10-2008, 08:02 PM
The Puma fishnet green RG 2002 outfit with the Cameroon soccer socks was pure and fierce athleticism. She look amazing. My favorite too.

That reminds me. The pink pic M8 posted can't be from Pink Ice, cause it has a swoosh, and the Pink Ice collection was Puma gear.

Jay
04-10-2008, 08:03 PM

You did? :shocked::shocked: I didn't mind it, but the "boots" were fug.

I liked that one too. Her best outfits, arguably, were when she was with Puma.

Moose
04-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Couldn't they have picked a better feel good win? Maybe I'm alone here, but I was under the impression that only Novotna and Tauziat cared about who won the '98 Wimbledon.

Pretty much any other Grand Slam final would work. How about when Goran won Wimby?

Biased, for sure. But what about Kim capping the comeback of the decade with the USO in 2005? That would be my choice.

suliso
04-10-2008, 08:04 PM

Novotna would have been my choice as well with Goran as a close runner up. No other GS final comes even close... (in the last 20 years at least)

Jay
04-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Biased, for sure. But what about Kim capping the comeback of the decade with the USO in 2005? That would be my choice.

That would be a better choice, for sure.

Mine would be......Wimbledon 05 :notworthy:
When everyone had written her off (and, I believe, she had written herself off as well, no matter how much she has said that she thought she would win grand slams again), she comes back to win the most prestigious grand slam crown.

JTContinental
04-10-2008, 08:06 PM

That would be my (biased) pick, too.

jjnow
04-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Novotna would have been my choice too with Goran as a close runner up. No other GS final comes even close... (in the last 20 years at least)
Agreed. Plus, factor in the the whole crying on the Duchess's shoulder deal years before her '98 title...

Not to mention, they were both near 30 at the time.

Novotna was a lock. And deservedly so.

Vlad
04-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Agreed Moose. Roma 2005 was the end of his Grand Slam career. He never got over it.

You think it's psychological with him? Because of that loss? I thought he had "dead" shoulder after his operation and only played decent tennis for short time thereafter.

suliso
04-10-2008, 08:08 PM

When everyone had written her off (and, I believe, she had written herself off as well, no matter how much she has said that she thought she would win grand slams again), she comes back to win the most celebrated grand slam crown.

How can that compare with Goran or Jana winning their only slams at advanced age and after multiple defeats in the final?

mmmm8
04-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Well, now people are going into THEIR feel-good moments. Trying to think objectively, the argument for Goran is good, I think. But it was over Rafter, who beat Henman, so there was a lot of feel-bad stuff there, too.

That Wimbledon should have been mentioned somewhere on that list, though

Jay
04-10-2008, 08:12 PM
How can that compare with Goran or Jana winning their only slams at advanced age and after multiple defeats in the final?

Oh, I wouldn't have put it above Goran's, but I would put it over Novotna's.
I was just saying which one I think would be a better pick. :)
There are others, IMO, that are more "feel good" than Novotna's.

suliso
04-10-2008, 08:13 PM

Did you watch that final?

Jay
04-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Not "live", but I did watch it(on tape).

Moose
04-10-2008, 08:18 PM

I did. And while I was happy for her, I can't say it was a feel good moment. Jana's poor sportsmanship arising out of her break up with Arantxa took away from any warm fuzzies I had remaining from the breakdown on the Duchess of Kent's shoulder.

oohsalmon
04-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Kim's final was such a blowout that it's hard for me to count it.

I say Ivanisevic by a mile, even though I don't really like him. He was outside the top 200 or something, right?

JTContinental
04-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Oh, I wouldn't have put it above Goran's, but I would put it over Novotna's.
I was just saying which one I think would be a better pick. :)

I agree

Agassi at the '99 French, Sampras' last US Open, Seles at the 96' AO all are more viable options to me, as well.

JTContinental
04-10-2008, 08:21 PM
I did. And while I was happy for her, I can't say it was a feel good moment. Jana's poor sportsmanship arising out of her break up with Arantxa took away from any warm fuzzies I had remaining from the breakdown on the Duchess of Kent's shoulder.

Plus Tauziat was a colossal crab, as well.

suliso
04-10-2008, 08:22 PM

It was for me. I liked Jana, but I didn't follow tennis as closely as now so I probably wasn't aware about all the other stuff. Final itself was nothing special, though.

Jay
04-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Kim's final was such a blowout that it's hard for me to count it.

I say Ivanisevic by a mile, even though I don't really like him. He was outside the top 200 or something, right?
something like that, yeah.

I would have picked his a million times over over Novotna's.

Moose
04-10-2008, 08:26 PM
It was for me. I liked Jana, but I didn't follow tennis as closely as now so I probably wasn't aware about all the other stuff. Final itself was nothing special, though.

Jana played ASV in the semis at Wimby in 97 (the year she lost to Hingster in the final). And if you find fist pumping over an opponent's errors offensive, then you'd have no good will left for Jana following her display in that match.

suliso
04-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Jana played ASV in the semis at Wimby in 97 (the year she lost to Hingster in the final). And if you find fist pumping over an opponent's errors offensive, then you'd have no good will left for Jana following her display in that match.

It's funny how selective our memories are. I probably saw that match, but since I wasn't ASV fan I don't remember it. Besides in Jana's case it's was mostly her style of play what I liked. At that point it was very different from everyone else's (except Tauziat) and reminded me of Rafter who was my favorite male player at the time.

Jack
04-10-2008, 09:30 PM

She's had some hits.

I'm still laughing because I had to re-read what you posted about three times before I read it right.

I guess I thought I was in the dumpster!

Jack
04-10-2008, 09:41 PM
Well, if we are going to talk injuries, Coria got hurt at a lot younger age than Rios, no? (I really don't know Rios' career).

There've gotta be people before the late 1990s who didn't reach their potential, though

Andrea Jaeger. But they probably didn't want to put Jaeger in as "biggest disappointment" with all she's done post-tennis.

But I always have to shake my head when people talk about Sukova and MJ Fernandez or even Dementieva as the best women to have never won a slam - Jaeger was reaching Slam finals and beating Evert and Navratilova when she was still a teen!

I don't know - that kind of behavior is pretty common nowadays, no?

mmmm8
04-10-2008, 09:44 PM
I'm still laughing because I had to re-read what you posted about three times before I read it right.

I guess I thought I was in the dumpster!

LMAO. Come to think of it, I'm wondering some hits of what she had before wearing that disaster.

Charlie02123
04-10-2008, 09:44 PM

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I've only followed tennis for about 4 years, though, so I'll accept the magazine's judgement. I agree that her destroying Mary Pierce takes away a lot of points in that category. I'm still touched by Kim's sister sobbing after she won, though.

Venus' unexpected run to the finals combined with the historic match and how much joy she showed after winning make her an excellent candidate. The fact that she's one of the best grass court players of all time takes it down at least a notch or two.

I don't know anything about the match they picked, but whatever.

They'll change their mind after Davydenko wins the French over Rafa in a stunning five set final this year! :cheesy: