PDA

View Full Version : SE Miami SP: Womens Day 8 Pick

Moose
04-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Hello, and welcome to Day 8 of the Women's Sony Ericsson/Miami Suicide Pool.

Your Day 8 Women's choice is from the 2 Quarterfinal Matches in the bottom half of the Womens Draw. As always, you will be making one pick each day, and once you use a player, you cannot use them again for the remainder of the tournament.

Post your Day 8 Womens selection by responding in this thread. Since the SE/Mi is a "practice" pools, we will not keep a formal Picks and Results thread, so it is your responsibility to self-score your way through the tournament. We encourage you to do this by listing all your previous picks in your post for each day (simply cut and paste from the day before), as this has proven the best way to track your picks from our experience. For example:

Day 1: Carling Bassett
Day 2: Monica Seles
Day 3: Lisa Bonder
Day 4: Kathy Rinaldi
Day 5: Sabine Appelmans
Day 6: Natasha Zvereva
Day 7: Sister Andrea Jaeger

Your Day 8 Womens Pick is due no later than 11:00 a.m. (ET) on Wednesday, April 2 - that is 8:00 a.m. Pacific Time, 3:00 P.M. Greenwich Mean Time.

Good luck, and thanks for joining us!

Day 8 Matches:

Elena Dementieva (RUS) [10] vs. Jelena Jankovic (SRB) [4]

Vera Zvonareva (RUS) [19] vs. Dinara Safina (RUS) [13]

shtexas
04-01-2008, 03:30 PM
OPEN!

Moose
04-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Looks like we're down to 5 players going into the bottom half quarter-final.....

Good luck to M8, Jack, Patrick, OutofSeason, and PTMcMahon. Hope you saved the right players to get you through the draw!

patrick
04-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Day 1 : Ashley Harkleroad
Day 2 : Tathiana Garbin
Day 3 : Katarina Srebotnik
Day 4 : Lindsay Davenport
Day 5 : Vera Zvonareva
Day 6 : Serena Williams
Day 7 : Svetlana Kuznetsova
Day 8 : Dinara Safina

mmmm8
04-01-2008, 06:06 PM
1: Harkleroad
2: Pin
3: Srebotnik
4: Hantuchova
5: Zvonareva
6: Jankovic
7: Kuznetsova
8: Safina

3/4 of us started with Harkleroad. Coincidence? I think not!

Moose
04-01-2008, 06:11 PM
1: Harkleroad
2: Pin
3: Srebotnik
4: Hantuchova
5: Zvonareva
6: Jankovic
7: Kuznetsova
8: Safina

3/4 of us started with Harkleroad. Coincidence? I think not!

Only in the annals of SPs would Pebbles Harkleroad earn mention as a "safe pick".

outofseason
04-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Serena's win has sealed it for me, but I'll keep playing just because I can.

Day 1: Harkleroad
Day 2: Garbin
Day 3: Srebotnik
Day 4: Safina
Day 5: Zvonareva
Day 6: S. Williams
Day 7: Kuznetsova
Day 8: Dementieva

ptmcmahon
04-01-2008, 07:26 PM
Looks like we're down to 5 players going into the bottom half quarter-final.....

Good luck to M8, Jack, Patrick, OutofSeason, and PTMcMahon. Hope you saved the right players to get you through the draw!

Actually only 4 of us...Jack picked Venus today.

As for saving the right players...3 of us didn't. Mmmm8 is the only one who hasn't picked both Serena and Kuzentsova and thus is the only one who can beat the draw. Mmmm8 has Serena left and also hasn't picked either Dementieva - Jankovic so is still in good shape!

I'm sort of in the second best position having picked none of the four players in the bottom half of the draw.

Assuming they stay with current picks Patrick will have his pick of the Dementiva - Jankovic winner left.

Outofseason is out of picks after tomorrow :(

Hey...maybe I should actually make my pick...

ptmcmahon
04-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Only in the annals of SPs would Pebbles Harkleroad earn mention as a "safe pick".

There was my mistake! I could've taken Pebbles in round 1 and saved Wozniacki, and then saved Venus and then saved Serena...and then I could still beat the draw!

ptmcmahon
04-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Alrighty...pick time. I think Jankovic will with the other match, but if she doesn't I think Dementieva will win the semfinal. So I will avoid that match. The other one is tricky, but based on current form recently, I think Vera Z will win it!

Day 1: Wozniacki
Day 2: Sugiyama
Day 3: Panetta
Day 4: Davenport
Day 5: Venus Williams
Day 6: Serena Williams
Day 7: Kuznetsova
Day 8: Zvonareva

The other advantage is if Vera wins, I will win the SP! A 50-50 chance with how unpredictable the women are, probably my best chance ever to win one (practice? this is real to us!)

If I go with Safina and she wins I at best tie with Patrick and possibly/probably lose to Mmmm8.

patrick
04-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Waiting on Jack

ptmcmahon
04-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Jack picked Venus yesterday and is out

patrick
04-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Why did Moose say 5 people remained in the pool. By the way, this is the best I ever done with the WTA since I started playing SP.

mmmm8
04-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Why did Moose say 5 people remained in the pool. By the way, this is the best I ever done with the WTA since I started playing SP.

Because it was hard to notice the way Jack made his pick that it was Venus not Kuznetsova.

We're it.

PTMC, who is Zvonerva? (Althouth it kind of works as a nickname ;) )

patrick
04-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Because it was hard to notice the way Jack made his pick that it was Venus not Kuznetsova.

We're it.

You are the only one that can possibly beat the entire SP if Elena and Dinara win tomorrow.

ptmcmahon
04-01-2008, 08:16 PM

Look at Jack's pick...he put Venus on top, while his day 6 of Kuznetsova was on the bottom still, probably creating the mix up.

I'm the same way...furthest in a WTA SP, and first time I ever did better on the women then men, after 9-10 tries. I finally get women!

ptmcmahon
04-01-2008, 08:19 PM

I'm pretty sure that wasn't my worst mispelling of the tournament :cheesy:

mmmm8
04-01-2008, 08:21 PM
You are the only one that can possibly beat the entire SP if Elena and Dinara win tomorrow.

If we're going to let me brag here, I'm also the only one still alive in both SPs (provided Andy finishes the job). Doesn't it suck that this is practice?

ptmcmahon
04-01-2008, 08:22 PM
You're the one with administator under your name...maybe no one will notice if you give us all medals ;)

mmmm8
04-01-2008, 08:23 PM
You're the one with administator under your name...maybe no one will notice if you give us all medals ;)

You get a mental medal for that suggestion, PTMC

ptmcmahon
04-01-2008, 08:34 PM
I will brag for years! Well, I better wait and see Vera win tomorrow first. Like I said it's pretty near 50-50 who takes it the way this season has gone.

patrick
04-02-2008, 04:42 AM
If we're going to let me brag here, I'm also the only one still alive in both SPs (provided Andy finishes the job). Doesn't it suck that this is practice?

Congrats on that acheivement but I am ready for the dirt.

Moose
04-02-2008, 08:03 AM
And Day 8 is closed. Good luck to our 4 remaining players.