PDA

View Full Version : Any Horseracing Fans on TAT?

dryrunguy
03-28-2008, 12:57 PM
I'm asking because I'm thinking about some kind of a contest, I call it "The Smarty Jones Stakes", that would focus on the triple crown races. But I'm having trouble putting some ideas together about how it would work.

I thought maybe a few people with more knowledge of the sport could help me do some electronic brainstorming.

If you have some expertise or even peripheral knowledge in this area and are interested in helping to put the parameters together, please reply. :)

Kirkus
03-28-2008, 04:57 PM
I'm asking because I'm thinking about some kind of a contest, I call it "The Smarty Jones Stakes", that would focus on the triple crown races. But I'm having trouble putting some ideas together about how it would work.

I thought maybe a few people with more knowledge of the sport could help me do some electronic brainstorming.

If you have some expertise or even peripheral knowledge in this area and are interested in helping to put the parameters together, please reply. :)
Lone-star and I aren't horseracing fans, per se. But we never NEVER miss a triple crown race. It's a tradition in our house. Right from the beginning of the broadcasts, through the "up close and personals" to the finish line. The only thing we don't do is sing "My Old Kentucky Home" (at least not out loud).

dryrunguy
03-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Lone-star and I aren't horseracing fans, per se. But we never NEVER miss a triple crown race. It's a tradition in our house. Right from the beginning of the broadcasts, through the "up close and personals" to the finish line. The only thing we don't do is sing "My Old Kentucky Home" (at least not out loud).

Neither of you have obviously ever tasted a mint julip... :cheesy:

dryrunguy
03-30-2008, 08:43 PM
Bump. But at this point, I'm thinking at this point interest is limited...

nelslus
03-30-2008, 08:48 PM
WELL, OK, BPDN and BPD Jessie COULD reach into our TAT harems and get some of our.....

OH- you said HORSE racing.....:p

Pierre1
06-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Big Brown, sorry you cracked a nail, but this one is your's for the taking.

dryrunguy
06-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Big Brown, sorry you cracked a nail, but this one is your's for the taking.

I'm a little bummed, Pierre. As much as I respect Big Brown and think he's a great horse, he hasn't had the competition this season. He's a great horse, but we don't know that he's a GREAT horse. If that makes any sense.

I'm also not at all wild about Big Brown's connections. Strike me like a bunch of jerks. Though his trainer has a really neat story. Too bad he's still a complete asshole. :o

Incidentally, ESPN did an interesting piece about an hour or so ago about the persistent hoof problems of his sire. Given what happened over the past two weeks with Big Brown and his hoof (a persistent problem), as well as other progeny of the sire, it's clear that the sire throws this bad trait.

Yet, in spite of that, Big Brown is going to rack up millions upon millions in stud fees... And likely produce colts with similar hoof problems. That's not good for an already fragile breed that is under a helluva lotta scrutiny right now.

Like I said in the Smarty Jones thread... Everyone should check out the You Tube Triple Crown races between Affirmed and Alydar in 1978 IN ORDER--Kentucky, Preakness, and Belmont. Each one got more and more dramatic. Affirmed nearly went wire to wire in two of those three races, including the Belmont. Sure, the Belmont was a very slow pace, but given that it's 1.5 miles, that's still an unimagineable accomplishmen that won't be repeated any time soon! No horse could do that today at that distance.

Incidentally, Alydar was thinner-boned than Affirmed but was widely regarded as the better sire. I wonder if history is rethinking that assessment.

Anyway, I think I've decided that I hope Big Brown loses... I just can't stand his connections and he's bad for the future of thoroughbred racing.

Pierre1
06-07-2008, 03:15 PM
The Belmont is a real test. High temps. today too, it's over 90 where I am- not even taking into account his patched up, glued together hoof.

You don't think it's cute when the trainer call women reporters "Babe?"

I've read a bit about the breeding thing that is resulting in the catastrophic breaks, etc. Speed at all costs, I don't really know enough about the subject.

Pierre1
06-07-2008, 04:01 PM
My brother called. Big Brown said "No Más."

mrjiggyfly2
06-07-2008, 06:32 PM
I am not a fan. Over the last few years, I've put a few $$ on horses that have been reccomended to me. Let's just say that I would have been better off betting any other horse than the ones that have been recommended.

Also, I bet on Funny Cide and Smarty Jones at the Belmont when both had chances to win the Triple Crown. They both lost.

This year, I wasn't going to let that happen. So I bet NOT Big Brown to win the Belmont. My $5 paid a profit of $16.35 :banana::banana::banana:

I finally smartened up!!!

Ti-Amie
06-07-2008, 07:59 PM
I am not a fan. Over the last few years, I've put a few $$ on horses that have been reccomended to me. Let's just say that I would have been better off betting any other horse than the ones that have been recommended.

Also, I bet on Funny Cide and Smarty Jones at the Belmont when both had chances to win the Triple Crown. They both lost.

This year, I wasn't going to let that happen. So I bet NOT Big Brown to win the Belmont. My $5 paid a profit of $16.35 :banana::banana::banana:

I finally smartened up!!!

Chris Evert called. Her "Open Letter" is in the mail. :lipsrsealed:

Pierre1
06-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Will she and Candy Spelling never learn.

mrjiggyfly2
06-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Chris Evert called. Her "Open Letter" is in the mail. :lipsrsealed:

What about James Martin? :)